Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mom Thinks I'm Arguing with her when I'm trying to explain

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    Every time I try to explain something to my mom she thinks I'm arguing. She is like this all the time. If I don't stop arguing(actually trying to explain something) she threatens me with something. Is she just a dumb parent or what? Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you're a dumb kid? :wink:

It could be the tone you use or your body language. What/why are you explaining? Had she told you not to do something and you're trying to tell her she's wrong?

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3
    I get straight A's. Almost anything. I try to explain to her why I'm right about something and she thinks I'm arguing. She says, "You want to be right all the time" and then I'll say something like
    "I'm just trying to explain" and she'll keep saying I want to be right all the time. Anytime I try to explain to her that I'm right about something(even though I know I might not be) she'll think I'm arguing with her

5. Jul 18, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A family counselor who would meet with you'all would be best. Otherwise only guesses could be senility, or envy.

6. Jul 18, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Calling your mother a dumb parent in front of a forum with strangers indicates to me that the problem is not only with her.

7. Jul 18, 2015 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What, no room for a kid with a bloated ego?

8. Jul 18, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I completely disagree about your second part. It could very well be just an extreme case of differences in type A and type B communication with absolutely no senility or envy involved. Likely, it's that combined with what Evo suggested; gozaru is unwittingly using communication methodology that is perceived as hostile when it is not at all intended to be.

EDIT: this is in agreement with micromass's suggestion. gozaru probably has a very poor realization of how he comes across to others.

9. Jul 18, 2015 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Irrelevant. And yeah, if this is your discussion style, then I agree with your mother.

Well, are you actually right? What topic are you arguing about mostly? Why do you think she's wrong?

And really, if she says stuff like this, then this should be an indication that she does not want to talk about it any further. So do the right thing and stop arguing. Not everybody is interested in having a lot of discussions.

10. Jul 18, 2015 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And by the way gozaru, whether you admit it to yourself or not, I'm fairly confident that you DO want to be right all the time. That is very common for many people who are Type A and STEM oriented. It's possible I'm wrong, but unlikely. You should examine that possibility very carefully because if I'm right and you don't get a handle on it, you're in for a lot of unnecessary problems in life.

It's not something to be embarrassed by or ashamed of, it's just a condition that some of us have but it's one that it is good to be aware of if you DO have it (as I do).

11. Jul 18, 2015 #10
    Yeah, why can't people just put their big egos aside and pursue the path of being wrong all the time?

12. Jul 18, 2015 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sarcasm aside, there ARE those of us who, unfortunately, have an unhealthy need to be right all the time. Sure, nobody wants to be wrong all the time but Type B folks in particular tend to be much more tolerant of being wrong or at least not needing to be right all the time.

13. Jul 18, 2015 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” – Mark Twain

14. Jul 18, 2015 #13
    I understand the issue you're raising, but the way you phrase it suggests it's wrong to want to be right, leading to the absurd conclusion it must be right to want to be wrong. The problem actually is people who have an unhealthy inability to admit when they happen to be wrong. That could well be this poster's mother. It strikes me she avoids admitting when he has demonstrated she's wrong by misdirecting the focus to his alleged need to be right.
    -Wiki

15. Jul 18, 2015 #14

Evo

The OP admits that he will argue he is right even when he knows he's wrong, I will have to side with the mother on this one.

16. Jul 18, 2015 #15
    Here's the key to getting along with women. Recite these words:

You're right.
    I'm wrong.
    I'm Sorry.
    How can I make it up to you?
    Dinner?

The last line is flexible. (The others are not!) Chocolate? Wine? Flowers?

17. Jul 18, 2015 #16

jedishrfu

Its too bad we don't know the actual discussion here. However, I can recall movie scenes where a teen would argue the virtues of taking marijuana or some other drug citing all the attendant health benefits yada yada yada... and the parent saying you're wrong its not as healthy as you think... you'll be arrested with an ensuing impasse in the conversation. It could even be other subjects from girlfriends to cars to musical instruments to big concerts using teen vs parent arguments of too much money, too fast or too dangerous.

The most recent movie with this kind of stuff in it is The Descendants.

Kids are always near-sighted and parents are always far-sighted and therein lies the difference.

At home, I remember my son asking me to convince another parent to allow his daughter to come over for a teen birthday party. Realtime during the phone call, my son and his daughter were critiquing the conversation using AOL chat which later I thought was hilarious. The daughter was reading her father's body language and what he was saying, relaying it to my son who wanted me to keeping convincing him. He eventually said yes when he realized that we would be present and in the background, watching things and that it wasn't just all teens party with no adult supervision.

18. Jul 18, 2015 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As a parent with a son who Must Be Right All The Time But Calls It 'Explaining', I'm afraid I know exactly how your mother feels.

My son has built up a whole world that he thinks makes sense, but he is so inexperienced he doesn't even know that his world is so small. He has not discovered humility. (This may not be your sitch, but the result is the same.)

19. Jul 18, 2015 #18

strangerep

Science Advisor

That's not quite what he said. Having a debate with someone, but being open to the possibility that one might be wrong, is not a bad thing. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to be correct. The underlying issue is what criteria are being used to verify correctness, but we don't know whether that's even possible here because the OP still hasn't given any concrete examples.

I know plenty of people, especially ministers of religion, who are highly intelligent and can construct sophisticated (theoretical) arguments in support of their preferred position. So the crucial thing here is: can correctness be resolved by appeal to reality (i.e., empirical science), or is it just a philosophical debate and an ego/dominance thing?

20. Jul 18, 2015 #19

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Eighteen posts on this now. Has ANYONE resolved the original posted problems?

I DID say that a family counselor who could meet in person with the two people involved would be best.

21. Jul 18, 2015 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We can close this thread now. symbolipoint has fixed it for us. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook