Momemtum and cannonballs

• Thread starter chella
  • Start date
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble answering this question. At first I thought it was A, but then I started thinking in multiplying and now I"m not sure...

Momentum is inertia in motion, and it is equal to the product of a body's mass and its velocity. For example, if the speed of a projected cannonball is doubled, then the momentum is doubled. if instead the cannonball's mass is doubled, then the momentum is likewise doubled. Suppose, however, that a cannonball's mass is somehow doubled and its velocity is also doubled. Then its momentum is
a) the same
b) doubled
c) quadrupled
d) none of these

Answers and Replies

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Try to solve this by substituting some numbers if you can't see it. Say m=2 and v =2. What is the momentum? Now double both. How does the new momentum relate to the old momentum?

The definition of momentum (represented by P) is P = mv.

Apply this knowledge and you should have little to no problem finding the correct answer.

Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble answering this question. At first I thought it was A, but then I started thinking in multiplying and now I"m not sure...

Momentum is inertia in motion, and it is equal to the product of a body's mass and its velocity. For example, if the speed of a projected cannonball is doubled, then the momentum is doubled. if instead the cannonball's mass is doubled, then the momentum is likewise doubled. Suppose, however, that a cannonball's mass is somehow doubled and its velocity is also doubled. Then its momentum is
a) the same
b) doubled
c) quadrupled
d) none of these