1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momemtum and cannonballs

1. Jun 29, 2007 #1
    Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble answering this question. At first I thought it was A, but then I started thinking in multiplying and now I"m not sure...

Momentum is inertia in motion, and it is equal to the product of a body's mass and its velocity. For example, if the speed of a projected cannonball is doubled, then the momentum is doubled. if instead the cannonball's mass is doubled, then the momentum is likewise doubled. Suppose, however, that a cannonball's mass is somehow doubled and its velocity is also doubled. Then its momentum is
    a) the same
    b) doubled
    c) quadrupled
    d) none of these

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to solve this by substituting some numbers if you can't see it. Say m=2 and v =2. What is the momentum? Now double both. How does the new momentum relate to the old momentum?

4. Jun 29, 2007 #3
    The definition of momentum (represented by P) is P = mv.

Apply this knowledge and you should have little to no problem finding the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?