1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momemtum in 2 Directions

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    spacecraft that are linked together are then thrust apart by large springs,

S1 has a mass of 1.9x10^4 kg, then has a velocity of 3.5x10^3km/h at 5.1 degrees to the original direction..

S2 has a mass of 1.7x10^4kg and a velocity of 3.4x10^3km/h at 5.9 degrees to the original direction.

I just want to double check to make sure I solved this correctly.

3. I converted km/h into m/s. Then I calculated each spaceships momentum using P=mv and resolved each spaceship into its own component vector.

I figured the X in each component vector would add up to the original total momentum of the 2 spaceships when they were linked together, because Pt = P1+P2

I solved each x compenent using X=Pcos(theta) then I added them together to get the total momentum.

I also added the mass of the two spaceships together to get the total mass when they were linked together.

Using both of these values I used P=mv to calculate the original velocity of the two spaceships when they were linked together.

I'm not worried about any math errors, just the errors in any steps that I took. Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good!

By the way, it's probably not necessary to convert the velocities into m/s. Since they were giving you km/h velocities, that more or less implies that an answer in km/h is acceptable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook