Calculating Moment & Horizontal Force at O for 100 lb Force

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the moment of a 100 lb vertical force applied to the end of a lever attached to a shaft at O. The solution involves using the equation Mo = Fd and taking into account the perpendicular distance between O and the line of action of the force.
David Donald

Homework Statement

A 100 lb vertical force is applied to the end of a lever, which is attached to a shaft at O. Determine (a) the moment of the 100 lb force about O (b) the horizontal force applied at a that creates the same moment about O.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution but I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm doing for part (a) I have Mo = Fd = 24in*cos(60) * 100 lb
But I don't understand why I'm using
24in*cos(60) and not 24in*sin(60)...

2duxg01.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
David Donald said:
But I don't understand why I'm using
24in*cos(60) and not 24in*sin(60)...
You need the perpendicular distance between O and the line of action of the force.

1. What is the formula for calculating moment?

The formula for calculating moment is M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate the horizontal force at point O?

To calculate the horizontal force at point O, you will need to use the formula Fx = F x cos(theta), where Fx is the horizontal force, F is the applied force, and theta is the angle between the applied force and the horizontal axis.

3. Can the moment and horizontal force at point O be negative?

Yes, the moment and horizontal force at point O can be negative. A negative value indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

4. How can I use the calculated values for moment and horizontal force at point O?

The calculated values for moment and horizontal force at point O can be used in various engineering and physics applications, such as determining the stability of a structure or analyzing the torque on a rotating object.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating moment and horizontal force at point O?

Yes, in addition to the applied force and distance, the direction and angle of the force must also be taken into account when calculating moment and horizontal force at point O. Other factors such as friction and external forces may also affect the calculations.