What is the rotation direction of a system with a force applied at point B?

In summary: Assuming the force is applied at point B, you can calculate the moment at point A with the relation :\overrightarrow{M_A}=\overrightarrow{AB} \wedge \overrightarrow{F}In summary, the 300N-component wants to rotate the system counter clockwise, but the 400N-component also wants to rotate the system. The 300N-component wins because it's above point A and has a bigger torque.
Faux Carnival
[PLAIN]http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8130/mompq.jpg

Hi, here is a system with a force acting on it. As you can see the force's components are shown. In systems like this, I can't decide in which direction the components rotate the system.

It is obvious that the 400N-component wants to rotate the system counter clockwise but what about the 300N-component?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Faux Carnival said:
It is obvious that the 400N-component wants to rotate the system counter clockwise but what about the 300N-component?
Assuming point 'A' is your axis, the 300N-component 'wants' to rotate the system clockwise. Figure out the torque from each component--the bigger torque wins.

Or you can just extend the line of the 500N force back toward the axis and see on which side it falls. You'll see that the overall force acts to rotate the system counter-clockwise.

Thanks Doc. But I still can't tell why the 300N-component rotates it clockwise. Because it's above point A, it seems to me that it would rotate counter clockwise.

Faux Carnival said:
Thanks Doc. But I still can't tell why the 300N-component rotates it clockwise. Because it's above point A, it seems to me that it would rotate counter clockwise.
Extend the line of the 300N component all the way to the left. It's above point A but it acts to the right, thus rotating clockwise.

Let's say the force is applied at point [tex]B[/tex], you can calculate the moment at point [tex]A[/tex] with the relation :
[tex]\overrightarrow{M_A}=\overrightarrow{AB} \wedge \overrightarrow{F}[/tex]

Choosing the coordinate system such that [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] are respectively the horizontal and vertical axis, the sign of the [tex]z[/tex] component of the moment will give you the rotation direction (i.e. counter clockwise is the [tex]z[/tex] component is positive and clockwise if the [tex]z[/tex] component is negative).

This is another way of telling how it rotates...

1. What is a moment acting at Point A?

A moment acting at Point A is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around Point A. It is a vector quantity and is commonly represented by the symbol M.

2. How is a moment acting at Point A calculated?

A moment acting at Point A is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from Point A to the line of action of the force. The formula for moment is M = F * d, where F is the force and d is the distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment acting at Point A?

The unit of measurement for moment acting at Point A is newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system and pound-feet (lb-ft) in the imperial system.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the moment acting at Point A?

The direction of the force affects the moment acting at Point A by determining whether the moment is clockwise or counterclockwise. If the force is applied in the same direction as the rotation, the moment is positive (counterclockwise). If the force is applied in the opposite direction, the moment is negative (clockwise).

5. What is the significance of knowing the moment acting at Point A?

Knowing the moment acting at Point A is important in understanding the stability and equilibrium of an object. It also helps in designing structures and machines, as well as in analyzing and solving problems in mechanics and engineering.