How to Calculate Reactions at Point A Using the Laws of Sine and Cosine?

In summary: Sum of Moments of all Forces about any Point =0.Next, solve for Cy:Cy = -460.8NmIs this supposed to be the torque about point A? It's not correct, for one thing you are saying it is both 0 and -462 Nm.Before trying again, make a list of all x and y forces that act at points A and C.Max = -100N(.3) = -30NmMa = -491.86NmI tried solving to find reaction at a, but not 100% if my result is correct. Any help would be appreciatedIn summary, the student attempted to solve
drkidd22

Homework Statement

See attached image file

Homework Equations

law sine
law cosine

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the reactions about two points from the applied force at point B

Bx = 200Cos60 = 100N
By = 200Sin60 = 173.20N

May = -173N(.4m) + CyN(.15m) = 0
May = -461.86Nm

Max = -100N(.3) = -30Nm

Ma = -491.86Nm

I tried solving to find reaction at a, but not 100% if my result is correct. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• moment.jpg
    moment.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
drkidd22 said:

Homework Statement

See attached image file

Homework Equations

law sine
law cosine
these are not relevant; what are the equilibrium equations?

Bx = 200Cos60 = 100N
By = 200Sin60 = 173.20N
yes, direction?
May = -461.86Nm
Are you trying to solve for Cy (in Newtons) by summing moments about A? If so, your equiibrium equation and units are incorrect.
Max = -100N(.3) = -30Nm
What point are you summing moments about?
Ma = -491.86Nm

I tried solving to find reaction at a, but not 100% if my result is correct. Any help would be appreciated
You must first note that the support at A can provide only a vertical force, since it is a roller joint free to slide horizontally. The pinned support at C can provide both a horizontal and a vertical force. You have 3 unknowns, Ay, Cx, and Cy, and 3 equilibrium equations. Try summing forces in the x direction first, then try again to sum moments about A. Do not forget to include the moments from all force or force components.

EDIT: PhanthomJay beat my response. Gotta learn to type faster :smile:

drkidd22 said:

Homework Equations

law sine
law cosine
Those are not relevant at all here. Instead, something involving the sum of the forces and sum of the moments would apply.

Bx = 200Cos60 = 100N
By = 200Sin60 = 173.20N
Okay, though By will point downward and that is usually indicated as a negative value.

May = -461.86Nm
Is this supposed to be the torque about point A? It's not correct, for one thing you are saying it is both 0 and -462 Nm.

Before trying again, make a list of all x and y forces that act at points A and C. (You already have done this for point B.)

Max = -100N(.3) = -30Nm

Ma = -491.86Nm

So Cx + Bx = 0
Cx + 100 = 0
Cx = -100N?

Yes, that's right.
Next do the same thing for:
  • the y-forces
  • the moments about a point of your choice.
(Hint: either points A or C are good choices for setting up the moment equation.)

I'm confused trying to find Cy and Ay.
But this is what I tried doing.0 = Fay + FBy
Fay -173.2 = 0
Fay = 173.2

Fay + Fby + Fcy = 0
Fcy = 0?

or is it

250mm(-173.2N) = Fay(150mm)
Fay = 288.66N (I think this is the right way)

Last edited:
drkidd22 said:
I'm confused trying to find Cy and Ay.
But this is what I tried doing.

0 = Fay + FBy
No
Fay + Fby + Fcy = 0
Yes
or is it

250mm(-173.2N) = Fay(150mm)
Fay = 288.66N (I think this is the right way)
No. If you are summing torques (moments) about C (are you?), you must include the torque from Bx (the horizontal component of the force at B). Solve for Ay, then use your other equation to solve for Cy.

I'm really frustrated with this and I give up, If someone explains this to me I will unlock whatever it is that's blocking mi mind to get through it. Can someone please explain it to me.

You have already calculated Cx correctly, by noting that the sum of the x forces must equal zero, for equilibrium . Since Ax = 0 due to the roller support at A, Cx is 100N acting to the left on the bracket. That is to say,
Ax +Bx +Cx =0
0 + 100 + Cx =0
Cx =-100N

Now you look at forces in the y direction. They also must sum to zero.
Ay +By + Cy =0
You know the value of By, but you don't know Ay or Cy yet, so you need one more equation of equilibrium, which is
"Sum of Moments of all Forces about any Point =0."

If you choose point C as your point about which to sum moments, then calculate the moment about C from By (which you did), the moment from Bx (which you did not do), and the moment from Ay (which you did, in terms of Ay, an unknown), and add them all up, set them equal to zero, and solve for Ay. When you sum moments, watch your plus and minus signs; if you choose a clockwise moment as minus, then a counterclockwise moment is plus. Note that the forces at C do not contribute any moment when you sum moments about C. Once you solve for Ay, then you can get Cy from your Ay +By + Cy =0 equation.

Ok I drank some cheap wine and my light bulb went off. I feel stupid now, but I got it figured out.

Ma = 0
(-100Nx300mm)+Cy(150mm)-(173.21Nx400mm)
= Cy = 661.89N

Mc = 0
(Ay150mm) - (100Nx300mm)-(173.21Nx250mm)
Ay = 488.7N

Thanks to all for your help

Always check your answer by summing forces in the y direction
Ay + By + Cy =0
It's a good check for the proper direction of the y forces.
Then celebrate with a tall glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.
And almost never ever give up.

1. What is a moment and how is it calculated?

A moment is a measure of a force's ability to cause rotation around a specific point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force by the perpendicular distance from the point or axis to the line of action of the force.

2. What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise moment?

A clockwise moment is a force that causes rotation in a clockwise direction, while a counterclockwise moment causes rotation in a counterclockwise direction. This depends on the direction of the force and the direction of rotation it causes.

3. How is equilibrium achieved in a system?

Equilibrium is achieved when the sum of all forces acting on a system is equal to zero and the sum of all moments acting on the system is also equal to zero. This means that the system will remain in a state of rest or constant motion.

4. What are the conditions for equilibrium?

The conditions for equilibrium are that the sum of all forces acting on the system must be equal to zero and the sum of all moments acting on the system must also be equal to zero. This ensures that there is no net force or net moment acting on the system.

5. How is the concept of equilibrium used in real-life applications?

The concept of equilibrium is used in many real-life applications, such as building structures, bridges, and machines. It is also used in designing and balancing objects to ensure stability and prevent tipping or toppling. Additionally, the principles of equilibrium are used in fields such as physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems related to forces and motion.