How Do You Calculate Work and Moment in Vector Problems?

In summary, there is confusion about finding work as it is typically defined as force multiplied by distance, but in this case it may involve taking the dot product. For the moment problems, the equation M = rxF was used to find the answer. However, there is uncertainty about how to apply this method to part (e) as it involves all three forces A, B, and C.
xcgirl

Homework Statement

A = 2i - 3j + 3k
B = 4i +2j + k
C = i + 2j - 2k

a) Find the work done by force A to move an object C
b)Find the work done by the forces A and B acting together that moves an object C
c)Suppose point O is defined at the tail of C. Find the moment of force A applied at the head of C about O
d)Suppose point O is defined at the tail of B. Find the moment of force A applied at the head of B about O
e)Suppose point O is defined at the head of B. Find the moment of force A applied at the head of C about O

Homework Equations

W = Fdcos(theta)
|M| = d|F|
M = rxF

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure that I can do the moment problems but I am confused about finding the work since I've always learned that work is force multiplied by distance. In my book it said that work is force that acts in the same direction as the motion of a body, so I thought I would take the dot product.
I did A dot C and got 2i - 6J -3k

For the moment problems c and d I used M = rxF to get the answer. I think this is the right way to do it, but I don't know how to apply this method to part (e) because it involves A, B, and C

Can you tell me if any of this is the right thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
xcgirl said:
For the moment problems c and d I used M = rxF to get the answer. I think this is the right way to do it, but I don't know how to apply this method to part (e) because it involves A, B, and C

Why do you think you can't apply "rxF" to (e)?

What is a moment and work problem?

A moment and work problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force required to move an object a certain distance, as well as the amount of work done in the process.

What is the formula for calculating moment and work?

The formula for calculating moment is force multiplied by distance, and the formula for work is force multiplied by displacement. So, the formula for a moment and work problem would be (force x distance) + (force x displacement).

What is the difference between moment and torque?

Moment and torque are closely related, but they have slightly different meanings. Moment is a measure of the force required to move an object, while torque is a measure of the force required to rotate an object.

How do you solve a moment and work problem?

To solve a moment and work problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as the force and distance or displacement. Then, you can use the formula (force x distance) + (force x displacement) to calculate the total work done.

What are some real-life applications of moment and work problems?

Moment and work problems are used in many different fields, such as engineering, construction, and sports. For example, engineers may use moment and work calculations to design structures or machines, and athletes may use these calculations to improve their performance in sports like weightlifting or javelin throwing.