Calculate Moment Across Board w/ 3 Roller Pins & Weight

In summary, the conversation is about determining the distance that a box of weight needs to be placed from point C for a board with three roller pins and a distributed weight to tip or rotate. The solution involves calculating the moment across the length of the board and considering the weight of the board, using the point of rotation as the axis for measuring torques. The board's weight is uniformly distributed, with 10 feet to the left and 5 feet to the right of the pivot point.
REM683
I have a problem with a board laid across 3 roller pins each spaced out x feet. Past point C is another X feet with a box of W Weight. I need to the distance the box needs to be from point C for the board to tip/rotate.

I was thinking of calculating the moment across the entire length of the board but was not exactly sure. Also how would I take into consideration the weight of the board?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
REM683 said:
I was thinking of calculating the moment across the entire length of the board but was not exactly sure.
Not sure what you mean. When the board starts to tip, about which roller will it pivot? Use that point as your axis for measuring torques.
Also how would I take into consideration the weight of the board?
The weight of the board can be considered to act at what point?

The 15 foot boards mass is uniformly distributed with 10 feet of the board to the left and 5 feet to the right of the pivot point. The box being on the right distance x.

REM683 said:
The 15 foot boards mass is uniformly distributed
What does that tell you about where the board's weight acts?

To calculate the moment across the board, we first need to determine the forces acting on the board. The three roller pins will each exert a normal force on the board, and there will also be the weight of the board itself. The box of weight will also exert a force on the board.

To find the distance the box needs to be from point C for the board to tip/rotate, we can use the principle of moments, which states that the sum of all moments acting on an object is equal to zero when the object is in equilibrium. In this case, we can set the sum of the moments equal to zero and solve for the distance of the box from point C.

To take into consideration the weight of the board, we can treat it as a distributed load and calculate its weight per unit length. This weight can then be included in the calculation of the moment.

It is also important to consider the distribution of the weight on the board. If the weight is evenly distributed, we can use the center of mass of the board to calculate the moment. However, if the weight is not evenly distributed, we will need to take into account the varying weight distribution along the length of the board.

I hope this helps with your calculation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.

1. How do you calculate the moment across a board with 3 roller pins and weight?

To calculate the moment, you will need to use the formula M = F*d, where M is the moment, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the force to the axis of rotation. In this case, the force applied would be the weight of the object and the distance would be the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the object.

2. What are the units of measurement for moment?

The units of moment are typically expressed in newton-meters (N*m) or pound-feet (lb*ft), depending on the unit system you are using. In some cases, it may also be expressed in joules (J).

3. How do the roller pins affect the moment calculation?

The roller pins act as supports for the board, allowing it to rotate freely. This means that the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of the object will change depending on the position of the roller pins. Therefore, the moment calculation will be affected by the placement of the roller pins.

4. Can the moment across the board be negative?

Yes, the moment can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the axis of rotation. This means that the object will rotate in the opposite direction of the applied force.

5. How can the moment across the board be used in real-world applications?

The moment calculation is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and strength of structures. It can also be used in mechanical systems to determine the torque required to move an object or the force needed to keep it in place. Additionally, the moment calculation is used in fields such as architecture, construction, and product design to ensure the safety and functionality of various structures and objects.