Solving a Simple Beam Moment Calculation

In summary, the maximum mid-span moment for a simply supported beam with two equal point loads at the third points is given by WL/4, which is the same as the equation for a single point load at the center. The reactions at the supports would be 15kN and the bending moment at mid-span can be calculated by taking moments from the center to one end of the beam. This is a simpler mathematical problem rather than a physics one.
iviv
Hi again. First, I'd like to say thanks a ton to tiny-tim for helping me through with my last problem. He was a great help, though I didn't want to bump that thread to say thanks. Anyway, I've got a far simpler issue now, and I'm having a brain fart.

1. A simply supported beam of span, L, carries two equal point loads of magnitude, W, at the third points. The maximum MID-SPAN moment is given by:-

Now, I know that when its a single point load at the centre of a beam, the equation is WL/4
And I'm just having a little trouble getting my head around the doubling of the forces. We've been told its not WL/8 or WL/12.

WL/8 was my first guess, and I was pretty sure it was right, but I've been told its wrong, but I wasn't sure why. However, now I've actually written all this down, I think I've realized what I've been doing wrong. I was thinking 'double W so double the number'. But since we're dividing by the number, obviously it should be halved, not doubled >_>

Now, this is more simple maths than physics, but should it be WL/2? That was my current initial thought, but then the load isn't slap bang on the centre, its offset at third intervals, so now I'm leaning towards it being WL/3. However, this is just through logic and feel, rather than actual maths. And I'm sure there should be a mathmatical way to work it out, but I'm not seeing it at the moment.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the moment at midspan, you need to start at the center and take moments as you go to one end of the beam.

Hmm. So, assume 10Kn loads, and a beam 3m long. Since its symmetrical, the moments would be 10Kn at each support.

The force is 10Kn at 1/3 of the beam, so at the centre it would be 15. Using the equation, 15=WL/x

15= 20*3/x

x=4

So the equation would be WL/4, which makes it the same as the equation if there were simply a point load at the mid-span of the beam?

iviv said:
Hmm. So, assume 10Kn loads, and a beam 3m long. Since its symmetrical, the moments would be 10Kn at each support.

The force is 10Kn at 1/3 of the beam, so at the centre it would be 15. Using the equation, 15=WL/x

15= 20*3/x

x=4

So the equation would be WL/4, which makes it the same as the equation if there were simply a point load at the mid-span of the beam?

Your reactions at the supports would be 15kN.

The BM at mid-span would be the 10kN at a distance of 0.5 m (1.5-1) from the mid-point and the 15kN reaction at a distance of 1.5m from the mid-point.

One will produce a clockwise moment and the other an anti-clockwise moment.

1. What is a simple beam moment calculation?

A simple beam moment calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the bending moment, or the amount of force required to bend a beam, at a specific point along a beam's length. This calculation is important in structural engineering and is used to ensure the safety and stability of a beam.

2. What are the steps involved in solving a simple beam moment calculation?

The steps involved in solving a simple beam moment calculation include:

1. Identifying the type of beam and its supports (fixed, cantilever, etc.)
  2. Determining the external forces acting on the beam (load, weight, etc.)
  3. Calculating the reactions at the supports using equations of equilibrium
  4. Drawing a free body diagram of the beam and labeling the forces
  5. Applying the bending moment equation to calculate the moment at the desired point
  6. Solving for the unknown variables and checking for accuracy

3. What factors can affect the results of a simple beam moment calculation?

Some factors that can affect the results of a simple beam moment calculation include:

• The type of beam and its supports
  • The magnitude and location of the external forces acting on the beam
  • The material properties of the beam (e.g. elasticity, cross-sectional area)
  • The accuracy of the measurements and assumptions made in the calculation

4. Can computer software be used to solve simple beam moment calculations?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software available that can accurately solve simple beam moment calculations. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to quickly and efficiently calculate the bending moment at any point along a beam's length. However, it is still important for engineers to understand the underlying principles and equations involved in these calculations.

5. How is a simple beam moment calculation used in real-world applications?

A simple beam moment calculation is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It helps engineers determine the appropriate size and strength of beams needed to support the structure and ensure its safety and stability. It is also used in the analysis of existing structures to assess their structural integrity and determine if any repairs or reinforcements are needed.