1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment Generating Function

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x) = 2x 0<x<1

a) Determing the Moment Generating function M(t) of X
    b) Use the MGT to determine all moments about the origin
    c) Give the 3rd central moment called the skewness

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) [tex]\int^1_0 e^{tx}2x dx = \frac{2xe^{tx}}{t} - \int^1_0 e^{tx}2 dx
    = \frac{2}{t}(xe^{tx} - e^t + 1)[/tex]

b)

[tex]E\left(X^n\right)=M^{(n)}(0)=\left.\frac{\mathrm {d}^n M_(t)}{\mathrm{d}t^n}\right|_{t=0}[/tex]

[tex]E\left(X^n\right)=M^{(n)}(0)=\left.\frac{\mathrm {d}^n \frac{2}{t}(xe^{tx} - e^t + 1)}{\mathrm{d}t^n}\right|_{t=0}[/tex]

Is that what I'm supposed to do for part b)?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2
    (a) can't be right because the x should have been integrated out. It's easy to correct what you did wrong.

(b) is the correct method, OR it might be easier to express the answer to (a) as a known power series, depending on what it really turns out to be.

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant by " x should have been integrated out". Does that mean that I did the integral wrong?

5. Apr 15, 2009 #4
    I meant [tex]\int_a^b F(x,t)\,dx[/tex] depends on t only, not x. Your (a) has an x in it so there is an (easy to fix) error.

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5
    Is the 'x' you're referring to - [tex]\frac{2xe^{tx}}{t}[/tex]. If so, I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

Sorry if I'm being difficult

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. Apr 16, 2009 #6
    You're not being difficult.

For integration by parts, you tried

[tex]\int_a^b u\,dv=uv-\int_a^b v\,du[/tex]

but the correct formula

[tex]\int_a^b u\,dv=uv\bigr|_a^b-\int_a^b v\,du[/tex]

8. Apr 16, 2009 #7
    In [tex]uv|^1_0,[/tex] the [tex]|^1_0[/tex] applies to both u and v, or just v?

9. Apr 16, 2009 #8
    Both u and v

10. Apr 17, 2009 #9
    Once I use [tex]uv|^1_0[/tex], I get this:

[tex]\frac{2e^t}{t} - \frac{2}{t}(e^t -1) = \frac{2}{t}[/tex].

So when I apply I take the nth derivative I get:

[tex] - \frac{2}{nt^n}[/tex]

but I can't evaluate it at 0 since the denominator = 0. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

11. Apr 17, 2009 #10
    Double check your integration to see if it should be [tex]\frac{2e^t}{t} - \frac{2}{t^2}(e^t -1)=\frac{2te^t-2e^t+2}{t^2}[/tex]

This is made continuous at t=0, which you can verify by l'Hopital or by substituting the Maclaurin series for e^t. In fact, I think it might be easier to use Maclaurin series for e^t to find the moments as well, but I admit I didn't try differentiating.

12. Apr 19, 2009 #11
    Can I leave it like this (cause I don't know how the to find the nth derivative of a quotient)

[tex]\frac{d^n \frac{2te^t-2e^t+2}{t^2}}{dt}[/tex]

13. Apr 19, 2009 #12
    I would prefer to substitute the power series for e^t, simplify, then get the derivatives at 0 from that, to see if there is a pattern to the nth moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook