1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment Generating Function

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be uniformly distributed over the unit interval (0,1). Determine the moment generating function of X, and using this, determine all moments around the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the MGT is M(x) = E[ext]

I'm just not sure how to start this problem. Could someone give me a hint, or point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That makes it the integral from 0 to 1 of exp(x*t)*1*dx, doesn't it?

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    What does the "1" exp(x*t)*1*dx supposed to represent?

5. Aug 9, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the distribution is uniform over [0,1], then the pdf is f(x)=1, isn't it? The moment generating function is integral f(x)*exp(x*t)*dx. The 1 is the f(x).

6. Aug 9, 2009 #5
    Can't believe I didn't realise that. Thanks again.

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    So I did the integral and I got [tex]\frac{1}{t}e^t - \frac{1}{t}[/tex]

so the nth derivative of e^t is [tex]\frac{e^t}{t!}[/tex] (from taylor series)

but not sure what to do about the 1/t.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The series expansion of e^t is 1+t+t^2/2!+t^3/3!+... Which is quite unlike what you said. The 1/t part cancels.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    so all moments around the origin is just e^t (evaluated at t = 0)?

10. Aug 11, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No! Not at all! I was suggesting you expand the infinite series for e^t and use some algebra to write it in a way that's easier to handle for derivatives. You can work directly with e^t/t-1/t as well, but you can't just put t=0 after you take the derivative since that would be undefined - you would have to take the limit as t->0.

11. Aug 11, 2009 #10
    I see what you mean. I get tn - 1/n!

12. Aug 11, 2009 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good! You mean the sum of that for n=1 to infinity, right? I.e. 1+t/2!+t^2/3!+..., right? Now it's easy to find the nth derivative of that, also right?

13. Aug 11, 2009 #12
    the nth derivative would be [(1-n)^n]*(tn - 1/n!)

14. Aug 11, 2009 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why on earth would it be that? Look, take 1+t/2!+t^2/3!+t^3/4!+... What's the first derivative evaluated at t=0? Now do the second. Try the third. Do you see a pattern? Those are the moments. They are also pretty easy to compute from the pdf without even using a generating function. You should probably do the zero moment as well.

15. Aug 11, 2009 #14
    probably wrong, but it look's like tn/(n+1)! but if I substitute t = 0, then I get 0.

16. Aug 11, 2009 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's wrong. Can you help me out here? m(t)=1+t/2!+t^2/3!+t^3/4!+... That is your moment generating function isn't it? It's a infinite SUM of terms like you have suggested before. Not just a naked t^n/(n+1)!. It's a summation. What's the first derivative at t=0? Please, help me. Exactly ONE of the terms in that series has a nonzero first derivative at t=0. NONE of the others do.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  17. Aug 13, 2009 #16
    So I was looking through my notes and found this:

[tex]M(0) + \sum M^{(n)}(0)\frac{t^{n-1}}{n!} =1 + \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} E[X^n] \frac{t^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

where E[Xn] = 1/(n+1) since it's uniformly distributed on (0,1)

18. Aug 13, 2009 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. E[X^n]=1/(n+1). Because i) the integral from 0 to 1 of x^n is 1/(n+1). And ii) you can also read that off from the generating faction. If you take the nth derivative and set t=0 the only term that contributes is t^n/(n+1)!. All of the others vanish. And differentiating that term n times gives 1/(n+1).

19. Aug 13, 2009 #18
    So it's supposed to be:

[tex]M(0) + \sum M^{(n)}(0)\frac{t^{n-1}}{n!} =1 + \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{1}{n+1} \frac{t^{n-1}}{n!}[/tex]

Kinda confused about t^n/(n+1)!.

20. Aug 13, 2009 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget the n. Just deal with say the first 3 or 4 moments. Try and prove that the first few moments of your distribution are the same as what you would get from the generating function. Or even the first 1 or 2. Any of them. I'm on the verge of giving up here. Just do numbers, forget the symbols.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  21. Aug 13, 2009 #20
    *smacks head on keyboard*

can't believe it took me so long to get it. Thanks for being so patient, and sorry for all the trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook