1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment Generating Function

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a random variable with a Laplace distribution, so that its probability density function
    is given by

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}e^{-|x|}[/tex]

Sketch f(x). Show that its moment generating function MX (θ) is given by

[tex]M_{X}(\theta) = \frac{1}{1 - \theta^2}[/tex]

and hence find the variance of X.

A frog is jumping up and down, attempting to land on the same spot each time. In fact, in
    each of n successive jumps he always lands on a fixed straight line but when he lands from the ith jump (i = 1 , 2 , . . . , n) his displacement from the point from which he jumped is Xi cm, where Xi has the Laplace distribution described above. His displacement from his starting point after n jumps is
    Y cm, so that [itex]Y = \sum_{i=1}^{n} X_{i}[/itex].

Each jump is independent of the others.

Obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex] and, by considering its logarithm, show that this moment generating function tends to [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] as n → ∞.

Given that [itex]e^{\frac{1}{2}x^{2}}[/itex] is the moment generating function of the standard Normal random variable, estimate the least number of jumps such that there is a 5% chance that the frog lands 25 cm or more from his starting point.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]M_{X}(t) = E(e^{tX}) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{tx}f(x)dx[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've sketched f(x), which looks like the graph of [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^x[/itex] for x < 0 and [itex]\frac{1}{2}e^{-x}[/itex] for x > 0.

I've found the moment generating function, and deduced that it has mean 0 and variance 2.

However, I'm unable to obtain the moment generating function for [itex]\frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex]. The mark scheme says this:

If [itex]T = \frac{Y}{\sqrt{2n}}[/itex], then [itex]M_{T}(\theta) = E(e^{T\theta}) = E(e^{\theta \sum \frac{X_{i}}{\sqrt{2n}}}) = \prod_{i=1}^{n}E(e^{\frac{\theta}{\sqrt{2n}}X_{i}}) = \left( 1 - \frac{\theta^{2}}{2n} \right)^n[/itex]

I understand everything up until where the last part; how are they turning that product into that neat (1 - theta^2 / 2n)^n term? My approach was to say that all the Xi have the same distribution, so every term in the product is the same, and you get this:

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}}M_{X}(\theta) \right)^n = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}(1 - \theta^{2})} \right)^n[/itex]

but this is clearly not equivalent to their answer. What have I done wrong here and what have they done to collapse their product into something so simple?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Careful: ##M_{X/\sqrt{2n}}(\theta) = E \exp(\theta X /\sqrt{2n})= M_X(u), \: u = \theta /\sqrt{2n}.## This is NOT equal to ##(1/\sqrt{2n}) M_X(\theta).## However, you are partly right: they should not have written ##(1- \theta^2/2n)^n##; it should be ##(1- \theta^2 / 2n)^{-n}.##

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Sorry, that was my typo -- they did write that term to the negative power of n.

Okay thanks, I think that makes sense -- so [itex]M_{X}(a \theta) \neq aM_{X}(\theta)[/itex]?

Thanks, it makes so much sense now, they've just replaced the theta with theta / sqrt(2n) :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook