Moment Inertia w/ density F(x)

In Summary, the homework statement states that calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform rigid rod of length L and mass M lying along the x-axis which rotates about an axis perpendicular to the rod (the y axis) and passing through it’s center of mass. The rod has a line density that is a function of location such that =3x. To solve the equation, the student substitutes M*R^2/L dr for ρ, and evaluates from 0 to L and -L/2 to L/2.
fisselt

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform rigid rod of length L and mass M lying along the x-axis which rotates about an axis perpendicular to the rod (the y axis) and passing through it’s center of mass. The rod has a line density that is a function of location such that =3x.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int ρr^2 dm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would be done simply by replacing ρ with 3x and r with x. However, while integrating I just keep getting 0 as my answer.
[itex]\int ρr^2 dm[/itex] dm=ρdx=3xdx
=[itex]\int 3x(x)^2 dx[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{3x^4}{4}[/itex]

Now when I evaluate from L/2 and -L/2 I always get zero.

I assume I'm setting up my integral incorrectly as I should probably have an odd exponent that I totally forgot how to do calculate an integral over the summer. Appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi fisselt! :smile:
fisselt said:
… Now when I evaluate from L/2 and -L/2 I always get zero.

hardly surprising …

half of your rod has negative density! :biggrin:

Should I be evaluating from 0 to L then?

Meaning it would be (3L^4)/4

fisselt said:
Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform rigid rod of length L and mass M lying along the x-axis which rotates about an axis perpendicular to the rod (the y axis) and passing through it’s center of mass. The rod has a line density that is a function of location such that =3x.
fisselt said:
Should I be evaluating from 0 to L then?

Meaning it would be (3L^4)/4

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

hmm … i don't really understand the question …

where is x being measured from?

and how can it be uniform if ρ = 3x ? :confused:

I think this may be part of my problem as well. I know typically with rods spinning about the perp. axis we evaluate from the center point (hence the L/2 AND -L/2). For all the other problems we have done this has worked but I have never done one with density as a function. I expected an answer that would be at least similar to the general form but I can't find it. I'm stuck doing it the same way over and over.

Home internet is down so no TEX on this phone, too time consuming.

Because the line density is ρ=3x, wouldn't the center of mass not be in the center? And so when evaluating the integral of inertia wouldn't the bound not be from -L/2 to L/2? You'd first have to find the location of the actual center of mass, and then evaluate from the endpoints when the center of mass is zero.

When making the substitution from the original form of the inertia integral you substitute M*R^2/L dr. But M/L is simply the linear density (for any uniform object). So when substituting in dm=ρ*r^2 dr you can use the 3x even though you have a negative lower bound because definite integrals allow for that (just keep in mind that you have to evaluate where the center of mass is placed at x=0).

Sorry I don't know how to use LaTeX lol.

Isn't this effectively what I've done originally? Perhaps the range is incorrect and I should figure center of mass of a 1 meter rod of this varying density? Something like -(L2)/3 to L/3.

Something like that.

You know how to perform a center of mass integral, right?

integrate 3*x^2 dx from 0 to L and divide by M, giving L^3/M.

So that's the center of mass. It seems like it should be from -2L/3 to L/3, but it's from -L^3/M to (L-L^3/M) because the actual calculated center of mass is at L^3/M.

The length could still be L, but you're right on with the -L/3 to 2L/3 if the mass of the rod is 1kg.

Also, the M in the center of mass is not M given, but mass obtained when integrating the linear density across the rod. Working through the calculations, we find the center of mass at 2L/3, which verifies your guess.

While integrating with the 2/3 and 1/3, however I'm getting a negative answer. Should I switch the signs in this case?

What are your bounds?

I had -(2L)/3 to L/3.

I got - (5L^4)/36

If you switch the bounds, you'd get the same answer, just positive. That should be right...

integral(3*x^3 dx) from -L/3 to 2L/3

?

Yeah if you switch the bounds you get +5L^4/36

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. Thanks a lot for the help. This discussion helped me out a lot!

No problem! Good luck with everything else.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that describes how resistant it is to changes in its rotational motion. It is a measure of the body's distribution of mass around its rotational axis.

What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object. For a continuous mass distribution, the formula is I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is a small mass element. For a point mass, the formula is I = mr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

How does density affect moment of inertia?

Density plays a role in determining the moment of inertia of an object. Objects with higher density will have a higher moment of inertia, as more mass is concentrated closer to the axis of rotation. Objects with lower density will have a lower moment of inertia, as more mass is spread out from the axis of rotation.

What is the relationship between moment of inertia and angular acceleration?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of an object. A higher moment of inertia means that more torque is needed to produce the same angular acceleration compared to an object with a lower moment of inertia. This is similar to how a heavier object requires more force to accelerate compared to a lighter object.

How can moment of inertia be used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as designing machines and structures that rotate, analyzing the performance of vehicles and sports equipment, and understanding the behavior of celestial bodies. It is also used in the calculation of moments of inertia for various shapes in order to determine their physical properties.