Calculating Moment Map of 2-Torus Action on C^3

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the moment map for a given 2-torus action on C^3. The poster makes a good attempt at computing the moment map, but there are some mistakes in their calculations. The correct moment map is provided, and the poster is encouraged to continue working on the problem.
HMY

Homework Statement

Given a 2-torus action on C^3 can be defined by
(a,b).(x,y,z)= (abx, a^-1by, bz). What is the moment
map?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here the Lie algebra is isomorphic to the dual Lie algebra
which is dual to R^2.

I was trying to compute the moment map directly.

The vector fields that generate the action in polar
coordinates on C^3 are (I think):
1) partial w.r.t theta_1 - partial w.r.t theta_2
2) partial wrt theta_1 + partial wrt theta_2
+ partial wrt theta_3
3) partial wrt theta_3

Why do I think those: I'm first thinking of b=1 & letting a
vary, then for the other one I do the reverse, a=1 & b
varies.

Then do calculation of
-(interior derivative of "1)")omega
= ... (some work I'm leaving out for now)
= d( |x|^2 /2 - |y|^2 /2 )

Similarly for "2)" & "3)".

So end of day I think the moment map is:
u(x, y, z) =
(|x|^2/2 -|y|^2/2 , |x|^2/2 +|y|^2/2 +|z|^2/2, |z|^2/2 )

I also think I've done something wrong in this attempt.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made a good attempt at computing the moment map for the given 2-torus action on C^3. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations that I would like to point out.

Firstly, the Lie algebra for this 2-torus action is not isomorphic to the dual Lie algebra. The Lie algebra for this action is actually isomorphic to the Lie algebra of the 2-torus itself, which is given by the set of all skew-symmetric matrices with real entries. This Lie algebra is not dual to R^2.

Secondly, your calculations for the vector fields that generate the action are not correct. The correct vector fields are:

1) partial wrt theta_1
2) partial wrt theta_2
3) partial wrt theta_3

These vector fields can be obtained by taking the tangent vectors to the orbits of the 2-torus action. Your calculations seem to be based on a different action, which is not the same as the one given in the problem.

Finally, your moment map is not correct. The moment map for this 2-torus action is given by:

u(x, y, z) = (|x|^2/2, |y|^2/2, |z|^2/2)

This can be obtained by using the definition of the moment map and the vector fields given above.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts and helps you in finding the correct solution. Good luck with your further calculations!

1. What is a moment map?

A moment map is a mathematical tool used in symplectic geometry to describe the action of a Lie group on a symplectic manifold. It assigns an element of the dual space of the Lie algebra to each point on the manifold, capturing the symplectic symmetry of the system.

2. What is a 2-torus action?

A 2-torus action refers to the action of a 2-dimensional torus (a topological space that can be visualized as a flat, doughnut-shaped object) on a mathematical object, such as a manifold. In this case, we are interested in the action of a 2-torus on the complex 3-dimensional space C^3.

3. How is the moment map calculated for a 2-torus action on C^3?

The moment map for a 2-torus action on C^3 is calculated by finding the Hamiltonian vector field associated with the action. This vector field is then used to construct a 1-form, which is the moment map. The specific calculations will depend on the specific action and the chosen coordinates on C^3.

4. What is the significance of calculating the moment map for a 2-torus action on C^3?

The moment map allows us to understand the symplectic structure of the system and can provide insight into the dynamics of the system. It also helps in the study of Hamiltonian systems and symplectic geometry.

5. What are some applications of calculating the moment map for a 2-torus action on C^3?

The moment map has various applications in mathematics and physics, including in the study of symplectic manifolds, integrable systems, and geometric quantization. It also has applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of gauge theories and in string theory.