How to Calculate Moment of Area with Rotated Beam and Applied Force?

In summary, The person is seeking help with completing a diagram involving angles and rotations. They mention needing to input two angles for the N.A. and force, but are unsure what these angles should be. They also mention trying to figure out Mxx, Myy, and Theta.n.a in relation to the rotation and force. Another person responds with a helpful picture showing the force components.
herpamad
Hey

May seem like a h/w question, infact i can't remember how to do it, and just need a push in the right direction?

I am trying to complete the diagram but don't really know how to put the angles into the diagram.

The beam was rotated 220 degrees from its first state, (1) in the diagram, to (2).

From memory i feel i need to put 2 angles, one for the N.A. and one for the force, but like i say, mind has gone blank on this one.

I am trying to figure out Mxx and Myy and Theta.n.a

I know the formulas, but not sure on what my angles should be to take into account the rotation and the force.

Thanks

Attachments

• diag.JPG
    diag.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 571
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi..assuming that ur 20kN is weight..attached picture shows the force components..hope it will be useful...

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 650

1. What is Moment of Area?

Moment of Area, also known as second moment of area or area moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to bending or twisting. It takes into account the distribution of an object's cross-sectional area and its distance from an axis.

2. How is Moment of Area calculated?

Moment of Area is calculated using the formula: I = ∫y²dA, where I is the moment of area, y is the distance from the axis, and dA is the differential area. This integral is usually solved using calculus.

3. What is the difference between Myy and Mxx?

Myy and Mxx are two different moments of area that represent the object's resistance to bending or twisting in different directions. Myy refers to the moment of area about the y-axis, while Mxx refers to the moment of area about the x-axis.

4. How is Moment of Area used in engineering?

Moment of Area is an important concept in engineering as it helps engineers determine the strength and stability of structures. It is used to calculate the deflection and stress of beams, columns, and other structural elements.

5. Can the Moment of Area of an object change?

Yes, the Moment of Area of an object can change if its shape or distribution of mass is altered. For example, bending a beam or adding material to one side of an object can change its Moment of Area and therefore affect its resistance to bending or twisting.