Beam Moment Solution: Finding EIy for P/2 Force in Standard

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the inclusion of only one force in a solution, which leads to a discussion about the definition of moment. The individual asking the question is using the first definition of moment, which is the algebraic sum of moments on one side of a section. The other person points out that this is not a definition and refers to a previous conversation.
chetzread

Homework Statement

for the first line of solution , i don't undertsand why the author only include one P/2 force only...
RgPa5cd.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be EIy" = 0.5Px -P(x-0.5L) -0.5P(L-x) , am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:

Homework Statement

for the first line of solution , i don't undertsand why the author only include one P/2 force only...
RgPa5cd.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be EIy" = 0.5Px -P(x-0.5L) -0.5P(L-x) , am i right?
What definition of moment are you using?

Likes chetzread
pongo38 said:
What definition of moment are you using?
Moment about point x

chetzread said:
Moment about point x
That is not a definition. see my reply to another of your questions

Likes chetzread
pongo38 said:
i am using the first one (algebraic sum of the moments on ONE SIDE of the section.

pongo38 said:
how does this question related to the question that i asked in another thread?

1. What is a beam moment solution?

A beam moment solution refers to the process of finding the value of EIy, which represents the flexural rigidity of a beam, in order to determine the maximum bending moment caused by a P/2 force acting on the beam. This solution is a crucial step in analyzing the structural integrity and stability of a beam.

2. How is EIy calculated for a P/2 force?

The formula for calculating EIy for a P/2 force in a standard beam is EIy = (P * L^2)/8, where P is the force applied and L is the length of the beam. This formula is derived from the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and takes into account the beam's material properties and geometry.

3. What is the significance of finding EIy for a P/2 force?

Finding EIy for a P/2 force is essential in determining the maximum bending moment that a beam can withstand without failing. This information is crucial in the design and construction of structures, such as buildings and bridges, to ensure their safety and stability.

4. What factors can affect the value of EIy?

The value of EIy can be affected by various factors, including the material properties of the beam, its cross-sectional shape and dimensions, and the magnitude and location of the P/2 force. The type of support and the load distribution along the beam can also impact the value of EIy.

5. Can the beam moment solution be applied to any type of beam?

Yes, the beam moment solution can be applied to any type of beam, as long as the beam follows the assumptions of the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. This includes having a linear elastic material, small deflections, and negligible shear deformation. However, for more complex beam structures, other methods such as the finite element analysis may be more appropriate.