1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of force

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1
    This question may sound silly to all of you brainy guys out there but I am one silly guy.
    While calculating the moment of a force how do you choose which component (horizontal or vertical) to choose? I know that M=F*d. Its confusing when authors sometimes use the veritical and sometimes the other component.
    Also please let me know if there is a nice little websites where such basic conepts could be found.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The component you need is whatever component is perpendicular to the radius you are using as the distance. For example, imagine a circle. If you draw a radius from the center to the 3 o'clock position, then the vertical component will produce the torque. If you draw a radius from the center to the 6 o'clock position, then it would be the horizontal component. The radius dictates the component used.

When in doubt, hyper physics is a great website:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

4. Aug 20, 2005 #3
    inother words you would use the distance that is shortest that makes a rright angle from the line of action to the position of application

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?