1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of I

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Four point particles, each of mass m, are arranged in a square and attached by massless rods that run along the sides of the square, and along the diagonals. The length of each side of the square is a. The construction is then pivoted about an axis perpendicular to the square, and through its center. Calculate moment of inertia Ia about this axis.

b) pose a sphere of radius a/4 is cut out of a cube. The center of the excised sphere is at the center of the cube. What is the moment of inertia Id of the resulting object, pivoted about an axis perpendicular to one of the sides and through the center of the cube?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

part a

I = [tex]\sum[/tex]mr2 where r = [tex]\sqrt{2a^2}[/tex]

I = 4(mr2) = 8ma2

part b

Icube = 1/12 m(2l2).....Isphere = 2/5 mr2

I = Ic - Is = 1/12 m(2a2) - 2/5 mr2 = 17/120 ma2

Attached Files:

• 2.pdf
      2.pdf
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2b.pdf
      2b.pdf
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Do you just want confirmation, or are you unsure about what you did? Both answers are correct.

4. Dec 2, 2009 #3
    both i suppose, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook