1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia/Acceleration of a Swinging Rod

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    I've been at this problem for almost an hour and I know that I'm going in the right direction but I think that I'm using something wrong within the calculations and what not. But well...here's the problem:

A rod of length 61.0 cm and mass 1.10 kg is suspended by two strings which are 44.0 cm long, one at each end of the rod. The string on side B is cut. Find the magnitude of the initial acceleration of end B.

http://homework.inst.physics.ucsb.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype20/prob13a_1016full.gif

What I've done so far is that I found the downward FORCE for the rod which is (1.10 kg)(9.81 m/s^2) = 10.80N. I then assumed that once the end of B is cut the TORQUE would then be T=L x F ==> T= 0.61m * 10.80N = 6.59 Nm. The moment of Inertia of this rod is I= (1/3)ML^2 and that equals 0.136 kgm^2. I then plugged the MOMENT OF INERTIA and TORQUE into the equation T = I x a(alpha) and solved for the angular acceleration which I got (alpha) = 6.59/0.136 = 48.46 rad/s^2. Since I know alpha = a/r I used the R value of .44m and tried to solve for acceleration but it is wrong.

Help is much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can consider the gravity to act in the COM of the rod, which is the middle, so the torque is not LxF, but 1/2LxF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?