1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia and angular speed

1. Jul 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 60kg skater begins a spin with an angular speed of 6 rad/s. By changing the position of her arms, the skater decreases her moment of intertia by 50%. What is the skater's final angular speed?

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that I=m*(r^2), so if the radius decreases when she puts her arns in, then the initertia decreases.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at this is that since it decreases by 50%, then the angular speed must increase by two to compensate. Is this correct and that her final speed is 9 rad/s?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I=m*r^2 describes how to decrease moment of inertia - but doesn't tell you much about angular speed. You'll want to be thinking about angular momentum, which is conserved.

4. Jul 22, 2007 #3
    "My attempt at this is that since it decreases by 50%, then the angular speed must increase by two to compensate"

you are correct but 6 x 2 does not equal 9

5. Jul 22, 2007 #4
    Ah.....

Lf = Lo
    [I(final) * w(final)] = [I(initial) * w(initial)]
    w(final) = [I(initial) * w(initial)] / I(final)

*If I(initial) = 2, and, I(initial) * 50%= 1, then her final speed is 12 rad/s.

6. Jul 22, 2007 #5
    Why I typed 9 I don't know... :D, I meant 12....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?