Moment of inertia and Center of mass

In summary, moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion and is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It differs from mass, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion. The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed and is important in understanding how an object will move and respond to external forces, as well as in calculating moment of inertia. To calculate the center of mass, the sum of the products of each individual mass and its distance from a reference point is divided by the total mass of the object.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Lets say I have some convex shape defined by a set of points in a clockwise direction. How do I calculate the MOI and the COM?

Physics news on Phys.org
calculate the MOI.
first assume the coodinat of the axis is (x,y,z).and the distance from points to axis are known as ri.then the MOI =Σmiri^2 or ∫ρiri^2dl
do you think it is right?

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to external forces and torques.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the equation I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account the distribution of mass in an object, while mass does not.

4. What is the center of mass and why is it important?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is important because it helps us understand how an object will move and respond to external forces, and it is also used in determining an object's moment of inertia.

5. How do you calculate the center of mass?

The center of mass is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each individual mass and its distance from a chosen reference point, divided by the total mass of the object. This can be represented by the equation x = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where x is the position of the center of mass, m is the mass, and x is the distance from the reference point.