Moment of inertia and velocity of an object

In summary, the first problem asks for the moment of inertia for a regular hexagon with point masses at its vertices. The equation used is I= (M(L^2))/12 +(M(radical3/2(L))^2). The second problem involves finding the speed of a small asteroid in a circular orbit around the moon Io, using the equation v= sqrt(GM/r).
Silentblade

Homework Statement

1.)A regular hexagon with sides of length 7 cm has a point mass of 1 kg at each
vertex. What is the moment of inertia for rotation about an axis which goes through the
center of the hexagon, and is perpendicular to the plane of the hexagon? Note that the
sides of the hexagon are made of rods with negligible mass

2.) The mass of the moon Io is 8.93x10^22 kg. Let 1.82x10^6 m be RI which is the radius of Jupiter’s moon Io. If there were a small asteroid traveling in a circular orbit around Io at a distance of 2RI above Io’s surface, what would be its speed?

Homework Equations

1.I=ICM+MD^2 = I= (M(L^2))/12 +(M(radical3/2(L))^2)

2.) v= sqrt(GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) I plugged in M=1 and L=.07m and ig to teh radical 3/2 since that is the length of side that is parallel to the side of the hexagon but when i get my final answer it was the wrong answer where did i go wrong...is it the the radical 3/2?

2.) I plugged in the values for G and M as well as 3 times the radius of the moon since the small asteroid is twice the distance of the moons radius plus the initial moon radius...when i get my final answer it is wrong...where did i go wrong for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a discrete number of point masses, what's the moment of inertia of a point mass?

what u mean? the moment of inertia for an individual rod?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

A higher moment of inertia means that an object will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion. This means that it will require more force or torque to change its rotational speed or direction.

4. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and velocity?

The moment of inertia and velocity of an object are inversely proportional. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can the moment of inertia be changed?

The moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of mass of an object. For example, by moving mass closer to the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia will decrease, and the object will be easier to rotate.