Moment of Inertia and Velocity

In summary, the problem at hand is to derive the formula for a "film projection wheel" that has four holes in the center. The conversation revolves around the use of the parallel axis theorem and the calculation of moments of inertia for the holes in the wheel. The formula provided by lightgrav is I = ½ M R^2 - 4 (½ m r^2 + m a^2) where M is the mass of a solid disk of radius R and m is the mass of a disk with the same density as the solid disk. The parallel axis theorem is used to find the moments of inertia for the holes, and the surface density of the disk must be calculated to determine the values for M and m.
leospyder
I need to derive the formula for this "film projection wheel" (it just has four holes in the center). I've looked all over google AND Hyperphysics but I haven't found a site that shows how to derive the formulas.
Please can someone help me (my physics teacher is a dick: he's been missing for 3/4 of the semester).:mad:
problem.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You add Inertias when you have more than one mass, right?

The film wheel is just a disk with 4 "negative mass disks" added to it, off-axis.
(use parallel-axis : add the Inertia of the center-of-mass around the axis to the Inertia around the center-of-mass)

the problem is i literally don't know where to begin. I understand subtracting the holes to get the moment. But i don't even know how to set-up the integral. I only know (integral)r(squared)dm, I am lost as to where to go from there.

You don't need to integrate. Most mortals look up Inertia formulas in a table.
Inertia of a disk around its center-of-mass is ½ M R^2 (axis perp to surface).

ok i found the MOI but what happens with the 4 holes? LIghtgrav, you said I should subtract the holes so would
the total moment of inertia be:

I= 1/2m(r)^2 - 4[1/2m(r)^2] but is it easy as subtracting the 4 holes, because
they are not concentric?

I was also told about the Parallel axis theorem but I am not sure what its used for exactly; would the d in the parallel axis theorem be 0.25 m (from the picture I included)?

As I see your diagram, the .25 m are the little (negative) disk radii.
The Inertia of the center-of-mass around the axis "d" is "a", which
points from the axis (the reel center) to the center of that (negative) disk.
This is EXACTLY what the parallel axis is for. You'll need it again
(the reel rotates around an axis at its edge, not at its center!)

Careful with your symbols ... I = ½ M R^2 - 4 (½ m r^2 + m a^2).
Can you figure out what "m" should be, if M = 10 kg ?

Last edited:

Careful with your symbols ... I = ½ M R^2 - 4 (½ m r^2 + m a^2).
Can you figure out what "m" should be, if M = 10 kg ?

Im confused now, because in an earlier post you said I could just subtract the four moments of inertia from the moment of inertia of the large circle. So is that correct or is the parallel axis theorem the correct formula to use? Also why is
I = ½ M R^2 - 4 (½ m r^2 + m a^2) ?
I assume your applying the Parallel Axis Theorem but how does this relate to the formula (im not questioning what you have, just why it is)?

Also to answer you question, m would be 10kg-4[pi(little r)^2]

So does this mean that saying I = I_cm + ml^2 is the proper moment of inertia for the reel rotating about is edge (I_cm is the moi that we derived and then subtracted the four "negative masses")?
Basically, I'm bothered by not understanding what to do about the holes in the reel. And it's not even my problem :grumpy:

leospyder said:
Im confused now, because in an earlier post you said I could just subtract the four moments of inertia from the moment of inertia of the large circle. So is that correct or is the parallel axis theorem the correct formula to use?
Yes and yes. You need to find the moments of inertia of the holes about the axis of rotation (not just their centers); that requires using the Parallel Axis Theorem.

Also why is
I = ½ M R^2 - 4 (½ m r^2 + m a^2) ?
I assume your applying the Parallel Axis Theorem but how does this relate to the formula (im not questioning what you have, just why it is)?
For how the parallel axis theorem relates to this formula, see my comment above.

Realize that in the formula provided by lightgrav:
M is the mass of a solid disk of radius R (if the holes were filled)
m is the mass of a disk of radius r with the same density as the solid disk​

You are given that the mass of "the disk" is 10 Kg. I assume that this is the mass of the "film projection wheel", holes and all. You'll have to figure out the surface density of the disk and use that to calculate M and m.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia related to velocity?

Moment of inertia affects the velocity of an object in rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will have a slower velocity, while objects with a lower moment of inertia will have a faster velocity.

What factors affect moment of inertia?

The mass and the distribution of mass in an object are the two main factors that affect moment of inertia. Objects with a greater mass or a larger distance from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's distribution of mass, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. They are related, but not the same. Objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia depending on their shape and distribution of mass.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It is also used in many engineering applications, such as designing machines and vehicles that rely on rotational motion.