Moment of Inertia/Angular Speed/Torque

• Thread starter mircobot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the angular speed of the construction changes by 3757.225434 rad/s due to a tangential force of 13 N applied for 0.300 s.
mircobot

Homework Statement

A flat construction of two circular rings that have a common center and are held together by three rods of negligible mass. The construction, which is initially at rest, can rotate around the common center (like a merry-go-round) through which another rod of negligible mass extends. Mass 1 is 0.12 kg, its inside and outside radii are 0.016 m and 0.045 m, respectively. Mass 2 is 0.24 kg, its inside and outside radii are 0.090 m and 0.140 m, respectively. A tangential force of magnitude 13.0 N is applied to the outer edge of the outer ring for 0.300 s. What is the change in the angular speed of the construction during that time interval?

Homework Equations

I believe the following is the correct moment of inertia formula for this problem:

I = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done so far is calculate each ring's moment of inertia.

Ring 1:
I1 = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)
I1 = (1/2)(0.12 kg)((0.016 m)^2 + (0.045 m)^2)
I1 = 1.3686e-4 (kg*m^2)

Ring 2:
I2 = (1/2)M(R1^2 + R2^2)
I2 = (1/2)(0.24 kg)((0.090 m)^2 + (0.140 m)^2)
I2 = .003324 (kg*m^2)

This is as far as I have gotten and I am not even sure if the work I have done thus far is relevant. I am not sure what to do with the tangential force provided by the problem. I know F = ma, but I am not sure where that, or if it even does, fit in. Please help, this one has been stumping me for a while. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The two rings are a blind. You can treat the construct as one assembly with a MoI given by the sum of the MoI of the two rings.

So the problem is just to calculate the angular acceleration caused by a tangential force.
Have a look here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html and you'll see it's just like a = f/m.

Okay, so I used the formula from the reference you gave me, alpha = F/I:

alpha = (13 N)/(0.00346 kg*m^2)
alpha = 3757.225434 rad/s^2

also I know the equation for angular speed relative to angular acceleration:
w = alpha * time

so,
w = (3757.225434 rad/s^2)(0.300 s)
w = 1127.16763 rad/s

Unfortunately I made a mistake because that is wrong. I don't think I need to use one of the constant acceleration equations because the angular acceleration isn't constant. I thought I was on the right track. Thanks for your time.

Nevermind, I figured out where my error was. I don't know why I did this, but I set the torque to just the tangential force. Torque is defined as force * radius. Thus all I needed to do was to multiply the 13 N force in my problem by the outer radius since that is where the force is applied. My final answer came to 157.8034682 rad/s.

Thanks, Mentz114 for leading me in the right direction.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a point mass can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be found by using integration to sum up the contributions of each infinitesimal element of the object.

3. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also referred to as rotational speed, is the rate at which an object rotates or completes one full revolution. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

4. How is angular speed related to linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are related by the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius of rotation. This means that the linear speed increases as the radius of rotation increases for a given angular speed.

5. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation. Torque is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m).