1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia calculation

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try here... [I'm not physics student and don't know how to differentiate "intro physics" from "not intro physics"]

I'm asked to calculate moment of inertia [around center of mass] for a thick disk.
    The problem: I calculate the moment of inertia in two different ways and get different answers.
    Way 1 [the crazy method] - I calculate moment of inertia for some inner part of the disk then I calculate the moment of inertia for the rest of the disk.
    Way 2 [the standard method] - I calculate the moment of inertia of the whole disk continuously.

The mass of the outer disk is M/2 and so is the mass of the inner disk.
    It is hard to to draw thing in the forums so I'm attaching my drawings and calculations as a picture: link.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2
    Please delete, I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook