1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia car problem

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A driver starts his car with the door on the passenger’s side
    wide open ([tex]\omega[/tex] = 0) the 36-kg door has a centroidal radius of gyration
    k= 250 mm, and its mass center is located at a distance r = 440 mm from
    its vertical axis of rotation. Knowing that the driver maintains a constant
    acceleration of 2 m/s2, determine the angular velocity of the door as it
    slams shut ([tex]\omega[/tex] = 90°).

R = 440mm = .44m
    k = 250mm = .25m
    a = 2 m/s
    m = 36kg

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M = Ig[tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] r x mag ... (1)

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]0 + 2[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

a = R[tex]\alpha[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M = Ig[tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] r x mag

::: [tex]\Sigma[/tex]M = Wg R cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
    * even though i did this...what do i use for theta? (90? degrees)
    * also, i think the only thing that contributes to the moment is the weight of the door?

::: Ig[tex]\alpha[/tex] + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] r x mag

= I[tex]\alpha[/tex] + maR
    = mk2 [tex]\alpha[/tex] + mR2[tex]\alpha[/tex]

after i complete (1) i get this when i solve for alpha:

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = Rg/ (k2 + R2cos([tex]\theta[/tex])

and then i get stuck here. i didn't know what to use for the theta, but i think im suppose to find [tex]\alpha[/tex] and then use the kinematic equation:

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]0 + 2[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]
    a = R[tex]\alpha[/tex]

to find omega, and i know omega initial = 0 ??

i feel like im missing an important part of the equation because im not getting the right answer...and i don't quite understand it. Im a little confused on the cosine part, am i suppose to use that for the acceleration, and not the moment of the weight? if someone can please help?!? i would appreciate it!! Thanks!! :D :D
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Have you thought about approaching this problem from the frame of reference of the accelerating car?

In that case wouldn't the change in potential energy - the center of mass moving in the accelerating frame from 0 to the radius of the center of mass below the door post (viewed from the top) - translate into the kinetic energy of the door moving at 1/2*Iw^2 ?

Looks like you can calculate I from the radius of gyration and its mass. Rg^2 = I/m.

Not sure however if this is the way they might want you to solve it for the course you are taking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?