1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia confusion

1. Oct 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Small blocks, each with mass m, are clamped at the ends and at the center of a rod of length L and negligible mass

Compute the moment of inertia of the system about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through a point one-fourth of the length from one end.

2. Relevant equations

I = Mr2

What im having difficulty with

I dont understand where this axis is, it would help if someone would explain or better draw a diagram to help me understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Did you try drawing a diagram for yourself? The directions seem pretty straightforward.

Draw a line representing the rod. Now draw a line perpendicular to it. If it that perpendicular line were in the middle of the rod, it would be 1/2 the length from one end. Move it so that it's 1/4 the length from one end.

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you agree that one-fourth of the rod length, as measured from one end, must be midway between that end and the center point?

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4
    Sorry, i figured it out before everyones reply, so im all good. Thanks for the help though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted