1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia Constant

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a little background, this lab was on energy of a rolling object. We rolled a hollow cylinder from the top of a ramp on a table and onto the floor. We are trying to experimentally derive the constant (k) found in the equation for moment of inertia.

Variables: h = height from top of ramp to table, H = height from table to floor, x = distance ball travels from end of ramp to its landing on floor

Make a graph of x^2 vs h. Add a trendline. Calculate k from the slope of the trendline as it corresponds to x^2 = (4Hh)/(k+1)

My trendline equation is x^2 = 1.98h - .086

2. Relevant equations

I = kmr^2
    x^2 = (4Hh)/(k+1)
    We know theoretically that k=1 for a hollow cylinder

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I thought the slope was k but that doesn't make sense because my expected k is 1.
    I could just calculate k given my experimental measurements, but that's not what they're asking. I'm trying to relate the given equation to mx+b form but I'm drawing a blank. I don't know how to start.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You have x2 = (4Hh)/(k+1) ⇒ x2 = (4H/(k+1)) h

this is in the form Y=MX+C, Y=x2 and X=h. What is M?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook