Calculating Moment of Inertia for a Cylinder with Varying Radii?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia for a body with a mass of m and a big cylinder of radius a and small cylinders of radius a/3. The formula for calculating moment of inertia is discussed, as well as the use of density and integration to find the final result. Tips are also given for integrating with holes and using vectors. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check out funny videos on tubepolis.com.
TBoy
Please, help me to solve this problem.

I need to calculate moment of inertia, I, for this body on picture:
- mass o the body is m
- radius of the big cylinder is a
- radius of the small cylinders is a/3

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• problem.GIF
    problem.GIF
    3.6 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have that I=Integral(r^2*dm)
Then u have the density=Mass/Volume (I'm supposing it's a cylinder)
then dm=density*dV
Then you solve I=Integral(r^2*density*dx*dy*dz) where r^2=x^2+y^2.
now you have the full cylinder without the holes.
Do the same for the holes and sum (with a minus of course)

Good luck

Ohh if you're having trouble with the holes just integrate but using r as a vector. So you do r=x+(cos(tethta), sen(theta)) where x is the vector from the oringin to the center of the wholes. Using that r just repeat it for the 4 circles (it's simetrical). Just remember that when integrating area in polar coordiantes dA=dx*dy=r*dr*dTheta

Cheers

Ohh and one more thing! remember that in vectors r^2=inner product (r,r)
:)
If u get stressed check tubepolis.com for some funny videos jeje. Look for triger happy those r really fun.

Thanks, will try it later when i will have some time! It seams logical! :)

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the cylinder.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder can be calculated using the formula I = ½mr², where m is the mass of the cylinder and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. Does the moment of inertia of a cylinder depend on its orientation?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cylinder does depend on its orientation. It will be different for different axes of rotation.

4. How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder different from a solid cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is different from a solid cylinder because the mass is distributed differently. A solid cylinder has a higher moment of inertia than a hollow cylinder of the same dimensions because more of its mass is concentrated at a greater distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder is important in understanding and predicting its rotational motion. It is often used in equations related to angular momentum and rotational energy. It also plays a role in determining the stability and strength of structures that involve cylindrical objects.