1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia - Disc

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    Consider a solid disk made of aluminum with a central hole as shown in the figure - can't include...don't believe it's necessary. The external and internal diameters are found to be 13 inches and 0.6 inches. The disk is 0.5 inch thick. The density of aluminum is 2.70 g/cm3. Question:
    Calculate the moment of inertia of this disk for rotations about its axle, in kg m2.

I have no idea how to determine the mass of a disk. I believe to determine the moment of inertia I use the formula Mxr^2

Formulas would be VERY much appreciated. I have several more problems on this pre-lab that are similar to this question. Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    Think of 2.7g/cm3 as a formula to find mass if you have volume in cm3. Therefore maybe start with finding the volume of the disk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook