What is the Proper Method for Calculating Moment of Inertia for a Disk?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of moments of inertia for a ring and a disk. The formula \int r^2dm was used for the ring, where m = \lambda L and dm = \lambda dL. However, for the disk, the formula \int_{0}^{A}\int_{0}^{L}\lambda r^2dLdA was questioned, with the suggestion to use \sigma as a mass distribution per area. The conversation also explored the possibility of writing the calculation in one double integral. Ultimately, the correct integral was determined to be \int_{0}^{2\pi}\lambda r^3d\theta for the ring and \int_{0}^{R}\int
Screwdriver
Not a homework question per se, but I'm having some issues with moments of inertia. Say I wanted to calculate the I for a ring. What I would do is:

[tex]I = \int r^2dm[/tex]

[tex]m = \lambda L[/tex]

[tex]dm = \lambda dL[/tex]

[tex]I_{ring} = \int_{0}^{L}\lambda r^2dL[/tex]

And that would give the requiside mr2. My question is, why can't I just integrate THAT up to get the I of a disk. I mean something like this:

[tex]I_{disk} = \int_{0}^{A}\int_{0}^{L}\lambda r^2dLdA[/tex]

Where A is the area of the disk. Doesn't figuring out the I for a ring essentially skip the first step for determining the I for a disk?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's A, the area of what ?

No, I think you can't do that..since in your formula for Idisk still using [tex]\lambda[/tex] as mass distribution in length, while your formula is related to area. you should use [tex]\sigma[/tex] as mass distribution per area and start over.

What's A, the area of what ?

A is the area of the disk formed by integrating up all the rings

you should use [tex]\sigma[/tex] as mass distribution per area and start over.

But what if I want to write it all out in one double integral? That must be possible...

Screwdriver said:
A is the area of the disk formed by integrating up all the rings

But what if I want to write it all out in one double integral? That must be possible...

If A is the area, the you have to integrate first along the angle to get a ring, then along the radius to get a disk.
You got to be careful with the mass definition, as Lepton pointed out.

you have to integrate first along the angle to get a ring, then along the radius to get a disk

[tex]dm = \lambda dL[/tex]

[tex]L=r\theta [/tex]

[tex]dL=rd\theta [/tex]

[tex]dm = \lambda rd\theta[/tex]

[tex]I_{ring}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\lambda r^3d\theta[/tex]

[tex]I_{disk}=\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\lambda r^3d\theta dr[/tex]

I think I'm missing something here.

The integral is correct.
But not dm
[tex]dm = \lambda \ r \ d\theta \ dr[/tex]

Okay. So you basically just have to define dm in terms of some small change in theta and some small change in r preemptively so you can just integrate them both up right away.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rotating object that measures its resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by taking into account the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is similar to mass in that it measures the amount of matter an object contains. However, while mass measures the resistance of an object to linear motion, moment of inertia measures its resistance to rotational motion.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. A larger mass or a larger radius will result in a higher moment of inertia, while a more concentrated distribution of mass towards the edges will result in a lower moment of inertia.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is calculated by the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

Why is moment of inertia important in physics and engineering?

Moment of inertia is important in physics and engineering because it helps us understand and predict the rotational behavior of objects. It is used in various fields, such as mechanics, robotics, and aerospace engineering, to design and analyze rotating systems and ensure their stability and efficiency.