Moment of Inertia Equations: What's the Difference and How Do I Use Them?

In summary: Ix = (bh^3)/12Using the x-bar equation, Iy with the bar is (hb^3)/12Applying the parallel axis theorem to find Iy, then Iy = Iy-bar + Ab^2Iy = (hb^3)/12 + hb * (h/2)^2 = (hb^3)/12 + (hb^3)/4Iy = (hb^3)*(1+3)/12 = 4(hb^3)/12 = (hb^3)/3Iy = (hb^3)/12In summary, the homework statement is that there are two
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I was given a formula sheet that shows the moment of inertia equations for three shapes: rectangle, circle, and triangle.

Homework Equations

There seems to be two sets of MOI equations.

Here are the rectangular equations:

Rectanglular:
Ix=[itex]\frac{bh^3}{3}[/itex], Iy=[itex]\frac{hb^3}{3}[/itex]

[itex]\bar{I}[/itex]x=[itex]\frac{bh^3}{12}[/itex], [itex]\bar{I}[/itex]y=[itex]\frac{hb^3}{12}[/itex]

What is the difference between the two, besides the denominators and order of variables? How can I remember which ones to use and when to use them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is selected depending about which axis the inertia is calculated.
Check your sheet with the diagrams of the figures.

SteamKing said:
The equation is selected depending about which axis the inertia is calculated.
Check your sheet with the diagrams of the figures.

I've attached the diagram that I'm using. I'm going to be finding the MOI of both axes so I know I have to use both equations, but there are the equations with the "bar" and ones without? That's what is confusing.

Attachments

• MOI #4.JPG
    MOI #4.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 2,228
  • equations.JPG
    equations.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 15,844
The equations with the bar denote the inertia about axes through the centroid of the figure. The equations without the bar denote the inertia about some other axes, as shown on your diagram.
In your figure, the centroidal axes are labeled x0 and y0.

SteamKing said:
The equations with the bar denote the inertia about axes through the centroid of the figure. The equations without the bar denote the inertia about some other axes, as shown on your diagram.
In your figure, the centroidal axes are labeled x0 and y0.

Using the parallel axis theorem, I would create a " x' " axis through the centroid for all of the figures, which would be 0.5 in from the original x axis. And then I would use the x-bar equation? Then for the y-axis I would use the equations without the bar? I just want to make sure that I understood your response.

Take the rectangle for instance.
Using the centroidal axes x0-y0, Ix with the bar is (bh^3)/12
Applying the parallel axis theorem to find Ix, then Ix = Ix-bar + Ad^2
Ix = (bh^3)/12 + bh * (h/2)^2 = (bh^3)/12 + (bh^3)/4
Ix = (bh^3)*(1+3)/12 = 4(bh^3)/12 = (bh^3)/3

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is the rotational analog of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex shapes, there are specific equations that must be used to calculate the moment of inertia.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and torque?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while torque is the force that causes rotational motion. They are related, but they measure different aspects of rotational motion.

4. What factors affect an object's moment of inertia?

The main factors that affect an object's moment of inertia are mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Shape and distribution of mass also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.

5. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

Moment of inertia affects an object's rotational motion by determining how much torque is needed to change its rotational speed. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.