1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia for a Solid Sphere

1. Nov 12, 2003 #1
    So I am having an issue getting the correct moment here. Although this isn't homework, I thought this would be the best forum for the issue.
    So... I=r^2dm Assuming a const mass density: I=p r^2 dV, (p=mass/volume). For a sphere the natural choice of
    dV = r^2 dr d(omega). So this leads to:
    I=4(pi) p r^4 dr . Lets say that the sphere has a radius b.
    Therefore: I=4(pi) p b^5/5, with p=m/(4/3 pi b^3)
    This gives me a final answer of I=3/5 m b^2, which is according to ever text I have looked at (Serway, Halliday/Reznik) incorrect.
    The supposed correct answer would be: I=2/5 m b^2
    I should be able to do this but I seem to be unable to find the assumption that is leading to my error. Something is tickling the back of my mind from my undergrad years telling me there is a subtle point I am missing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The r means different things in each of your formula; don't mix them up. In I=r^2dm, r means distance from the axis of rotation; in dV = r^2 dr d(omega), r means distance from the center.

4. Nov 12, 2003 #3
    Ahhhhhh.....

Yes of course. So now this is one ugly looking integral. Thanks a lot for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?