1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia Graph

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The moment of inertia (I) of the bicycle wheel about the axle, can be obtained graphically using the equation:
    rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque. Explain how to form two variables so that, I and Frictional Torque can be obtained from a linear graph. Identify the constants corresponding to the slope and intercept of the proposed linear graph.

r = 0.018m
    m=0.200kg
    g=9.8m/s^2
    a=0.002812
    I=?
    Frictional Torque= ?
    2. Relevant equations

(1) rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque.

(2) y=mx+b

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not sure if im 100% right on this but, equation one could take the form of equation two.
    m being I.
    x being whats changing, ie. acceleration
    b being the y intercept, ie frictional torque

Just unsure where to go from there a how to graph it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Presumably these variable relate to a physical set-up of some kind. Please describe it.

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The two variables are m and a. Try and rewrite the equation so that they become the x and y variables in the linear equation (or a combination of the variables!). The frictional torque and moment of inertia should then part of gradient and y-intercept values (r and g will also appear in these).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted