Moment of Inertia Graph

In summary, to obtain the moment of inertia and frictional torque from a linear graph, we can rewrite the equation rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque as y=mx+b, with m representing I and x representing a. The y-intercept (b) will correspond to the frictional torque, while the slope (m) will include the constants r and g. The physical set-up for these variables is not provided, so further information is needed to accurately graph the relationship between m and a.
cam borrett

Homework Statement

The moment of inertia (I) of the bicycle wheel about the axle, can be obtained graphically using the equation:
rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque. Explain how to form two variables so that, I and Frictional Torque can be obtained from a linear graph. Identify the constants corresponding to the slope and intercept of the proposed linear graph.

r = 0.018m
m=0.200kg
g=9.8m/s^2
a=0.002812
I=?
Frictional Torque= ?

Homework Equations

(1) rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque.

(2) y=mx+b

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if I am 100% right on this but, equation one could take the form of equation two.
m being I.
x being what's changing, ie. acceleration
b being the y intercept, ie frictional torque

Just unsure where to go from there a how to graph it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cam borrett said:
rm(g-a) = I(a/r)+Frictional Torque.
Presumably these variable relate to a physical set-up of some kind. Please describe it.

The two variables are m and a. Try and rewrite the equation so that they become the x and y variables in the linear equation (or a combination of the variables!). The frictional torque and moment of inertia should then part of gradient and y-intercept values (r and g will also appear in these).

Last edited:

What is a Moment of Inertia Graph?

A Moment of Inertia Graph is a visual representation of the distribution of mass in an object and how it affects its resistance to rotational motion.

How is the Moment of Inertia Graph calculated?

The Moment of Inertia Graph is calculated by integrating the mass of an object with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the Moment of Inertia Graph in physics?

The Moment of Inertia Graph is significant in physics as it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and how their mass distribution affects their behavior.

What factors can affect the shape of a Moment of Inertia Graph?

The shape of a Moment of Inertia Graph can be affected by the shape and size of the object, as well as the distribution of its mass. The axis of rotation and the location of the object's center of mass also play a role in the shape of the graph.

How is the Moment of Inertia Graph used in engineering?

The Moment of Inertia Graph is used in engineering to design and analyze the performance of various mechanical systems, such as rotating machinery and vehicles, and to determine the necessary torque and power needed for their operation.