1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia help pls

1. Dec 23, 2004 #1
    A pulley of moment of inertia 0.021kg-m^2 and radius 0.12m is acted upon by a force which varies in time as F= 0.23t + 0.12t^2 where F is in Newton and t is in second. suppose that the pulley is initially rotating at 0.18 r/s and the force acts tangentially to the pulley. Find the magnitude of the angular velocity of the pulley two seconds after the force began to act on the pulley.

I was thinking if I can use F(tan) r = I (alpha)

alpha = (0.12m(0.23t+0.12t^2))/0.21kgm^2 to get the accelration and then plug it in

w = wi + (alpha)t to get the velocity?

Is my reasoning correct?

What if I integrate the Force to get the work W, and then W = Kf - Ki?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good!
    That equation assumes constant alpha, which is not the case here. You have to integrate to find the final omega.

4. Dec 23, 2004 #3

You mean intergrate in the Force to get K = 1/2 Iw^2? I'm a bit lost! What do you mean?

5. Dec 23, 2004 #4

Doc Al

You have [itex]\alpha (t)[/itex]. So realize that [itex]d\omega/dt = \alpha (t)[/itex], so:
    [tex]\Delta \omega = \int_{0}^{2} \alpha(t) dt[/tex]

6. Dec 23, 2004 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope,as Doc said,u need to integrate this relation

[tex]d\omega=\alpha dt [/tex]

between corresponding limits.

Well,you figure it out.Is it possible without finding [itex] \theta (t) [/itex] and reversing it.?? :rolleyes:
    [tex] \frac{I}{2}(\omega_{f}^{2}-\omega_{i}^{2})=\int_{\theta_{0}}^{\theta_{f}} F(t(\theta))r d\theta [/tex]

Daniel.

7. Dec 23, 2004 #6
    Do I need to go through this?

Can't I just use [tex]\Delta \omega = \int_{0}^{2} \alpha(t) dt[/tex]
    But do I need to subtract the initial omega that is given from the final omega?

One more question please: when I did multiply the force equation by the radius, should I do the dot product or just multiply it commutatively. the reason I'm asking is the units when multiplying 0.12m by 0.23t + 0.12t^2 of course its m/t where t is in seconds. but after that I have to divide the answer by the moment of inertia which is kg m^2. Logicaly I know the answer should be in m/s^2 since its accelration and I also know that accelration could be written in N/kg, but here I have m(t)/kg m^2.

8. Dec 23, 2004 #7

Doc Al

[tex]\omega_f = \omega_i + \Delta \omega[/tex]

Also realize that the units of "0.23t + 0.12t^2" are Newtons (when t is in seconds), and the units of torque are N-m. The units of [itex]\omega[/itex] will be radians/sec.

9. Dec 23, 2004 #8
    I keep thinking about rotation in terms of motion. Yes, radian/sec not m/s.
    I really appreciate all your help guys. Thank you very much.

10. Dec 23, 2004 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,it's the only way to get the answer.

U can.Doc gave you the integral formula,i gave u the differential formula.

Nope,correct integration will give the result.

The problem gives the force without units.It should be Newtons.But the constants are given numerically:they should be measured,first in Newtons per second,and the second in Newtons per second squared.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?