Calculating Moment of Inertia for a System of Small Blocks on a Clamped Rod

In summary, the moment of inertia of a system consisting of small blocks clamped at the ends and center of a rod of length L is 11/16mL2 when measured about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through a point one-fourth of the length from one end. This can be calculated by using the equation I = \summr2 and solving for the given quantities.
elsternj

Homework Statement

Small blocks, each with mass m, are clamped at the ends and at the center of a rod of length L and negligible mass

Compute the moment of inertia of the system about an axis perpendicular to the rod and passing through a point one-fourth of the length from one end.
Express your answer in terms of the given quantities.

Homework Equations

I = [tex]\sum[/tex]mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know the answer is 11/16mL2 but I am having trouble figuring out how to get to that answer.

the first mass is 1/4L from the axis, the second mass is also 1/4L from the axis and the third mass is 3/4L from the axis.

m(1/4L)2+m(1/4L)2+m(3/4L)2

how does this become 11/16mL2?

Physics news on Phys.org
uhh... just open up the brackets and add!

can i see that step by step? my math isn't the greatest but 1/4+1/4+3/4 does not equal 11/16

Its (1/4)^2 + (1/4)^2 + (3/4)^2

To find the moment of inertia for a system of small blocks on a clamped rod, we can use the formula I = \summr2, where m is the mass of each block and r is the distance of each block from the axis of rotation. In this case, the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the rod and passes through a point one-fourth of the length from one end.

So, for the first block, which is located at a distance of 1/4L from the axis, we have r = 1/4L. Similarly, for the second block, r = 1/4L, and for the third block, r = 3/4L.

Substituting these values into the formula, we get:

I = m(1/4L)2 + m(1/4L)2 + m(3/4L)2

Simplifying, we get:

I = 1/16mL2 + 1/16mL2 + 9/16mL2

Combining like terms, we get:

I = 11/16mL2

So, the moment of inertia for this system of small blocks on a clamped rod is 11/16mL2.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines how resistant it is to changes in its rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand and predict how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the rotational inertia of an object.