Moment of Inertia: Check My Calcs for Iy

In summary, The individual is seeking assistance in checking their calculations for the MOI of a figure. They believe the only error is in the MOI of the triangle and are unsure if it should be calculated about the tip or the centroid of the figure. They had difficulty uploading images, but have provided links for reference.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I was wanting to see if someone could check my calculations. I've checked out the Iy and Ix in Autodesk Inventor and what I got is wrong.

Here are the links to my images. I apologize, the uploading option is not allowing me to upload the pictures.

http://postimage.org/image/re825r20b/
http://postimage.org/image/vomq1c73f/
http://postimage.org/image/lkdgw1dyv/

Homework Equations

I believe the only one that is wrong is the triangle?

My centroids were all correct, including my areas. So I'm sure my calculations for MOI's are wrong somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The MOI of the triangle is wrong.
Are you supposed to calculate Iy about the tip of the triangle or about the centroid of the entire figure?

SteamKing said:
The MOI of the triangle is wrong.
Are you supposed to calculate Iy about the tip of the triangle or about the centroid of the entire figure?

I was supposed to calculate Iy of the entire figure, but still wanted to calculate each shape. I was able to get the MOI of the triangle: [itex]\frac{1}{36}[/itex]

What is moment of inertia and why is it important in science?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass. It is important in science because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating or spinning.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia for a point mass is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For a continuous object, the moment of inertia is calculated using calculus by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or area.

What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of inertia tensor?

Moment of inertia is a scalar quantity that describes an object's resistance to rotational motion about a specific axis. The moment of inertia tensor is a matrix that describes an object’s resistance to rotational motion about any axis passing through its center of mass. It takes into account the object's shape and mass distribution in all three dimensions.

How is moment of inertia related to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The two are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

Why is it important to check calculations for moment of inertia?

It is important to check calculations for moment of inertia to ensure accuracy and to verify that the calculations were done correctly. This can help prevent errors in further calculations and ensure that the results are reliable and valid.