Moment of Inertia lab equation

In summary, there are three equations commonly used for moment of inertia: momentum=torque divided by angular acceleration, one specifically for a disk (I=.5MR2), and T=ml2ω2 on Wikipedia (which is actually the equation for kinetic energy). It is important to use the correct equation for the specific situation and not mix them up.
fisselt
I'm working on a lab where I have to go into some detail about moment of inertia. I understand the concept and everything but am a little confused by the equation that I found on wikipedia.
I've seen only two equations for this: momentum=torque divided by angular acceleration and
one specifically for a disk: I=.5MR2

On wikipedia I they have the equation: T=ml2[itex]\omega[/itex]2
Wikipedia makes sense to me because I understand that as radius decreases momentum decreases at constant angular velocity. Neutron stars for instance maintain similar inertia at reduced radius but much higher angular velocity.

Are all 3 ways true?

Physics news on Phys.org
momentum=torque divided by angular acceleration

I'm assuming you meant that moment of inertia = torque divided by angular acceleration, because what you have there isn't true (just look at the units.)

one specifically for a disk: I=.5MR2

I agree with this.

On wikipedia I they have the equation: T=ml2ω2

I'm assuming that you're referring to this page. You'll note that [itex]T[/itex] is in fact the kinetic energy of the object and not the moment of inertia. You may have been confused just because [itex]T[/itex] is similar to the symbol for torque, [itex]\tau[/itex].

1. What is the moment of inertia equation and how is it used in the lab?

The moment of inertia equation, also known as the rotational inertia equation, is used to calculate the resistance of a rotating object to changes in its rotational motion. It is often used in lab experiments to determine the moment of inertia of various objects such as a rod, disk, or ring.

2. How is the moment of inertia equation derived?

The moment of inertia equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration. By rearranging this equation, we get the moment of inertia equation: I = T/α, where I is the moment of inertia, T is the applied torque, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. What are the units of measurement for moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the type of object being measured. For a point mass, the units are kg*m^2. For a continuous object, the units are kg*m^2, where m is the distance from the axis of rotation and kg is the mass per unit length or area.

4. How is the moment of inertia affected by the distribution of mass?

The moment of inertia is directly affected by the distribution of mass in an object. Objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but distributed closer to the axis. This means that objects with more mass concentrated at the edges will have a higher moment of inertia than objects with the same mass evenly distributed throughout.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can change if there is a change in the distribution of mass or the axis of rotation. For example, if a mass is added or removed from an object, its moment of inertia will change. Similarly, if the object's axis of rotation is moved, its moment of inertia will also change.