1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia lab equation

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    I'm working on a lab where I have to go into some detail about moment of inertia. I understand the concept and everything but am a little confused by the equation that I found on wikipedia.
    I've seen only two equations for this: momentum=torque divided by angular acceleration and
    one specifically for a disk: I=.5MR2

On wikipedia I they have the equation: T=ml2[itex]\omega[/itex]2
    Wikipedia makes sense to me because I understand that as radius decreases momentum decreases at constant angular velocity. Neutron stars for instance maintain similar inertia at reduced radius but much higher angular velocity.

Are all 3 ways true?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2
    I'm assuming you meant that moment of inertia = torque divided by angular acceleration, because what you have there isn't true (just look at the units.)

I agree with this.

I'm assuming that you're referring to this page. You'll note that [itex]T[/itex] is in fact the kinetic energy of the object and not the moment of inertia. You may have been confused just because [itex]T[/itex] is similar to the symbol for torque, [itex]\tau[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook