Moment of Inertia,not hw problems, but trying to understand the concept better.

In summary, the first question asks for the ratio of L/R in a solid disk with equal moments of inertia about different axes. The second question asks if it is possible to have a torque on an object with a net force of zero and provides an example of why it is not possible.
sowmit
The question says:
Imagine a solid disk, made of uniform material, a radius R and thickness L. What is the ratio of L/R if the moment of inertia of this disk about the axis passing through the center and perpendicular to the plane of the disk is the same as the moment of inertia about the axis passing through the center and parallel to the disk? [I definitely don't know how to answer this. I don't think I even understand how to start it off]

2nd Question says:
Is it possible to have a torque on an object while the net force applied to it is zero? If not, why not? If yes, give an example.

-> I said it is not possible because torque= Force * Sin(theta). Since force is 0, torque is o as well.

Can someone help me with these questions please?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi sowmit! :smile:
sowmit said:
Imagine a solid disk, made of uniform material, a radius R and thickness L. What is theratio of L/R if the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=31" of this disk about the axis passing through the center and perpendicular to the plane of the disk is the same as the moment of inertia about the axis passing through the center and parallel to the disk?

you need to learn the common moments of inertia …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia :wink:
Is it possible to have a torque on an object while the net force applied to it is zero? If not, why not? If yes, give an example.

-> I said it is not possible because torque= Force * Sin(theta). Since force is 0, torque is o as well.

suppose there are two forces on the same object … can they have a https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=175" if their net force is zero?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that measures its resistance to rotational motion. It is the measure of an object's mass distribution around an axis, and is dependent on both the mass and the shape of the object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is also affected by the shape of the object, with objects that have more mass concentrated further from the axis having a higher moment of inertia.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units of moment of inertia are kg*m^2 (kilogram-meter squared).

4. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia determines how much torque is needed to cause an object to rotate at a certain speed. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more torque to rotate at the same speed compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.

5. Can moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering the mass distribution or shape of an object. For example, the moment of inertia of a thin rod can be increased by adding mass to the ends, or decreased by removing mass from the ends.