Moment of Inertia of a 4 rod system

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the moment of inertia (MOI) for different types of objects, such as discs, rings, and square laminas, using different equations. The handwritten calculation was a little messy but seemed to be correct for calculating the MOI of four rods making a square. The final result for the MOI was (m/4)Ă—(8a^2)Ă·12 + 2Ă—(m/4)Ă—a^2 for both the x and y axes and ma^2 + (ma^2)/3 for the z axis. It was suggested to simplify the results for easier use.
Aurelius120
Homework Statement
Calculate the Moment of Inertia of each and determine the greatest:
Relevant Equations
MOI=mr2
This was the question
20211125_163051.jpg

20211125_163147.jpg

(The line below is probably some translation of upper line in different language)

For disc it was ma^2/2
For ring it was ma^2
For square lamina it was 2ma^2/3
For rods
It was different
20211125_163250.jpg

Please explain

Thank You🙏

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what was being calculated by this equation
1637853924455.png

The hand-written calculation is a little messy and hard to follow, but it looks correct for the 4 rods making a square.

It probably calculated the MOI of the system (because it was the solution given in the booklet)

Also my MOI came out to be
(m/4)Ă—(8a^2)Ă·12 + 2Ă—(m/4)Ă—a^2
[About x and y axes]

&&

(ma^2)+(ma^2)/3

{About z axis}

Aurelius120 said:
Also my MOI came out to be
(m/4)Ă—(8a^2)Ă·12 + 2Ă—(m/4)Ă—a^2
[About x and y axes]
Ok, you are saying that ##I_{\rm x\, axis} = I_{\rm y\, axis} = \frac{m}{4} \frac{8a^2}{12} + 2 \frac{m}{4}a^2##
That looks correct.
It would be nice to simplify the result.
Aurelius120 said:
&&

(ma^2)+(ma^2)/3

{About z axis}
Here you are using ##I_{\rm z\,axis} = I_{\rm x\,axis}+I_{\rm y\,axis} = 2I_{\rm x\,axis} = ma^2 + \frac{ma^2}{3}##.
This looks correct. Of course you can simplify this result to just one term.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a 4 rod system?

The moment of inertia of a 4 rod system is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is the sum of the individual moments of inertia of each rod in the system.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a 4 rod system calculated?

The moment of inertia of a 4 rod system can be calculated by using the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each rod, and r is the distance of the rod from the axis of rotation.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a 4 rod system be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a 4 rod system can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of the rods. For example, if the mass of one rod is increased, the moment of inertia of the entire system will also increase.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational motion of a 4 rod system?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of a 4 rod system by determining how much torque is needed to accelerate or decelerate the system. A higher moment of inertia means more torque is needed to change the system's rotational speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of the moment of inertia of a 4 rod system?

The moment of inertia of a 4 rod system is important in many everyday objects, such as bicycles, cars, and even the human body. It is also a crucial concept in engineering and physics, as it helps in designing and analyzing rotating systems and machines.