1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a cone

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone about an axis through its center. The cone has mass M and altitude h. The radius of its circular base is R. (see attached photo)

2. Relevant equations
    I know I need to somehow use the equation I= intergral r^2 dm
    also, I have an equation from my proffessor, dm=rho dv I'm not sure if I need this though since its unifrom density so it doesn't seem like [tex]\rho[/tex] should matter.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have a solution right now. I know the answer is 3/10 MR2 but I don't know how to get there. From class, since we did some examples, I think I need an equation that has a triple integral in it but I don't know what to integrate and to where. Do I need to get dm in terms of something like d[tex]\vartheta[/tex], dr, and dh?

Thanks for your help. Also, if you have any general suggestions on how to complete moment of inertia problems like this that would be great. I know we're gonna be doing a lot of them.

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Yes dm = [tex]\rho[/tex]dV will be used. Have you tried setting up dV in cylindrical coordinates? Then try to look for your limits of integration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?