Moment of Inertia of a Hollow Cylinder

In summary, using integration, it can be shown that the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder with mass m, outside radius R2, and inside radius R1 is given by I = 1/2*m(R2^2 + R1^2). The infinitesimal element of the body must be expressed using volume rather than area, as the mass of the cylinder is distributed evenly along its height. This is in contrast to the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder, where the mass is identified on an area basis and the height does not need to be considered.
NeuronalMan

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder has mass m, an outside radius R2, and an inside radius R1. Use integration to show that the moment of inertia about its axis is given by I = 1/2*m(R2^2 + R1^2)

Homework Equations

dm = rho*dV = 2*pi*rho*h*r*dr

The Attempt at a Solution

This doesn't really concern the solution of the problem. There's something else that's bugging me. If, ultimately, the solution and the moment of inertia itself in this case doesn't depend on h (because the mass is distributed evenly along h?), why the need to express an infinitesimal element, dm, of the body by using the volume?

We know that the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder is the same as that of a thin circular plate. And so, in finding the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder, I = 1/2*MR^2, one doesn't have to concern oneself with its height.

I guess my question then is, why one cannot express an infinitesimal element of the hollow cylinder by using area instead of volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
mass is identified in case of cylinder on volume basis and in case of thin plate on area basis.In case of cylinder mass will depend on height of cylinder

What is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property of the cylinder's mass distribution and depends on its mass, dimensions, and shape.

How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder can be calculated using the formula I = ½MR2, where M is the mass of the cylinder and R is the radius of the hollow portion.

How does the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder differ from that of a solid cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is lower than that of a solid cylinder with the same mass and dimensions. This is because a hollow cylinder has less mass concentrated at its center, resulting in a smaller resistance to rotational motion.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is an important parameter in determining the rotational motion of objects. It is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as analyzing the stability of rotating machinery and calculating the angular acceleration of a spinning object.

How does the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder change with different mass distributions?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its radius. Therefore, as the mass distribution of the cylinder changes, its moment of inertia will also change. A cylinder with more mass concentrated at the outer radius will have a higher moment of inertia than one with more mass at the inner radius.