Moment of Inertia of a partial disk

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging physics problem with a due date that has passed. The person has been struggling with the problem, which involves integration and calculating the moment of inertia of a rod and a disk. They also mention confusion about using dTheta instead of dx and dy. The teacher has asked for the moment of inertia of a disk missing one sixth, which may require new limits of integration. The person also mentions their math skills lagging behind their physics skills.
abertram28
Let me first start by saying that this problem is a challenge problem and the due date has passed (friday). I've still been working on it because it stumped me. in my physics class we did some integration based inertia problems. my calculus isn't all that great so its a bit tough for me. what i did understand was finding the moment of inertia of the rod through calculus. and i followed along to see the moment of inertia of a disk through the axis of revolution. it was a bit confusing on using dTheta instead of a dx and dy.

the teacher asked us to show the moment of inertia of a disk missing one sixth. so i guess the new limits of integration of the dTheta part are going to go from 0 to 5pi/3? is that it? no parallel axis theorem?

if you reply, please try to have a little understanding that my math lags behind my physics a bit. sorry bout that, I am taking a strong math semester next to make up for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
the teacher asked us to show the moment of inertia of a disk missing one sixth. so i guess the new limits of integration of the dTheta part are going to go from 0 to 5pi/3? is that it? no parallel axis theorem?
Correct !

[tex]I = \int {\rho (\vec{r})r^2dV [/tex]
and in cylindrical co-ordinates you have :

[tex]dV = r dr d\phi dz [/tex]

Last edited:

First of all, it's great that you're still working on this problem even though the due date has passed. It shows determination and a desire to fully understand the concept. Calculus can be challenging, but with practice and persistence, you will surely improve.

Now, to address your question, yes, the new limits of integration for the dTheta part would be from 0 to 5pi/3. This is because the missing one sixth of the disk would result in a sector of 5pi/3 radians. And you are correct, there is no need to use the parallel axis theorem in this case.

It is understandable that your math skills may not be at the same level as your physics skills, but don't worry. As you mentioned, you are taking a strong math semester next to catch up, and that shows commitment to improving. Keep up the hard work and don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed. Good luck!

1. What is the moment of inertia of a partial disk?

The moment of inertia of a partial disk is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It takes into account the mass distribution, shape, and orientation of the disk.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a partial disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a partial disk can be calculated using the formula I = (mR²)/2, where m is the mass of the disk and R is the radius of the disk.

3. How does the moment of inertia change for a partial disk with different mass distributions?

The moment of inertia increases as the mass distribution of the partial disk moves further away from its axis of rotation. This means that a partial disk with more mass towards its outer edge will have a higher moment of inertia compared to one with a more uniform mass distribution.

4. Is the moment of inertia of a partial disk affected by its shape?

Yes, the shape of a partial disk can greatly affect its moment of inertia. For example, a thin disk with a large radius will have a higher moment of inertia compared to a thick disk with a smaller radius, even if they have the same mass.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a partial disk change with its orientation?

The moment of inertia of a partial disk is affected by its orientation in terms of its axis of rotation. If the axis of rotation passes through the center of the disk, the moment of inertia will be lower compared to when the axis is located at the edge of the disk.