1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a Sheet

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin, rectangular sheet of metal has mass M and sides of length a and b. Find the moment of inertia of this sheet about an axis that lies in the plane of the plate, passes through the center of the plate, and is parallel to the side with length b.
    Express your answer in terms of given quantities.

Find the moment of inertia of the plate for an axis that lies in the plane of the plate, passes through the center of the plate, and is perpendicular to the axis in part A.
    Express your answer in terms of given quantities.

2. Relevant equations

I = integral of (r2 dm)
    I = m*r2
    I = c*M*L2

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really understand this questions concept of inertia, any help would be appreciated. The textbook is not helpful with this specific question. Could someone point me to a website or examples to help me understand this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Let the area density be denoted by σ i.e. σ=M/A

[tex]\int r^2 dm \equiv \int \sigma r^2 dA[/tex]

So lets consider a small rectangular element of width dx and length dy. The distance of of this element from any corner is r (so what is r in terms of x and y?)What is the area of this element dA?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook