1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a sphere

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sphere consists of a solid wooden ball of uniform density 800 kg/m^3 and radius .20 m and is covered with a thin coating of lead full with area density 20 kg/m^2.

A. calculate the moment of inertia of this sphere about an axis through the center.

2. Relevant equations
    For a sphere: I = (2/5)MR^2
    Volume of a sphere: (4/3)pir^3
    Area of a sphere: 4pir^2
    D = m/v

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, So this is what I did. I don't know the mass, so I have to find the mass through the density. So, for the uniform sphere itself, I did 800 kg/m^3 * (the volume of a sphere) and got the mass of the sphere without the lead covering to be 26.8083. Then I did the lead covering, I did 20 kg/m^2 * (volume of the sphere) and got 10.0531. So then, I added 26.8083 + 10.0531 and got 36.86. I then plugged this mass into the equation of inertia: I= (2/5)(36.86) (.20 (radius))^2 and got .590. However, that is not the answer. So if someone can tell me where I am going wrong, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

the lead covering is a spherical shell, not a sphere! so you need the volume of the spherical shell... so how thin is that coating?
    EDIT: oh hang on, they give you the area density so... you just assume it is infinitesimally thin and just need surface area.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    but how would I calculate the volume of the spherical shell??

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    i am only given a area density for the shell...so how would i calculate the volume??

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

I ;ve edited my original post already before your replies.

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    i did calculate the surface area of the lead covering to be 10.0531. But when I combined the masses, and used the moment of inertia equation it didn't work. What am i doing wrong?

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7

mjsd

Homework Helper

there is a separate formula for moment of inertial for a spherical shell
    the problem here is that you no longer have uniform density as soon as you add in the lead layer....

9. Sep 20, 2007 #8
    so...........like would i do the I= MR^2 for the shell and the I=(2/5)MR^2 for the sphere and add them together... I am so stressed because I just can't seem to solve the problem..Please help. Thanks .

10. Sep 20, 2007 #9

mjsd

Homework Helper

since you seem to have the correct answer given to compare, just try it and see. by the way the moment of inertial of a spherical shell is NOT I=MR^2
    look it up or dervie it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?