Moment of Inertia of a Square?

In summary: I = (3ML^2)/4Adding both moment of inertia together would give meI = (3ML^2)/8 + (3ML^2)/4 = (6ML^2)/8 = (3ML^2)/4Is this correct?In summary, the conversation covers the calculation of the moment of inertia of a hollow square object about a specific axis, taking into consideration its dimensions, mass, and uniform density. After discussing various equations and attempts at solving the problem, the final correct answer is determined to be (3/4)*mass*length^2.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

See below for the diagram.

Use this result to calculate the moment of inertia of the shape below about the axis shown by the dashed line. The object is a square with a side of length L, total mass of 4M, and a uniform density.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got

I = (ML^2)/3

My work is attached below. The reason why I ask this question is because I can't find the answer any were online for moment of inertia of a square about this particular axis and just wanted to make sure that my answer was correct. Thanks for any help you can provide if it's wrong.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.9 KB · Views: 12,766
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 5,775
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is fine.

Wikipedia has a list of area moments of inertia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_moments_of_inertia

If you look at the first rectangular one, it's basically the result you want if you identify bh, the area of the rectangular, with the mass, and set h=L. Then you get
[tex]I = \frac{bh^3}{12} = \frac{4M L^2}{12} = \frac{1}{3}ML^2[/tex]

interesting, my professor marked my answer wrong =/

Ok the square is hollow and it's just a wire frame in the shape of a square and is why I got the problem wrong.

Taking this information into consideration...

I took the two bottom sides (the sides in which the axis of rotation goes through them) and added them together knowing that the moment of inertia of a line through were the axis of rotation goes through the midpoint of the line is (ML^2)/12 and got
(ML^2)/6

For the two other sides of the square in which the axis of rotation does not directly intersect the side I simply did this

I = integral r^2 dm
rho = dm/dL
dm = rho dL
r = L/2
I said this because the axis of rotation is this far away from the side and is constant
I = rho * integral[0,L] (L/2)^2 dL
= rho/4 * integral[0,L] L^2 dL
= (rho*L^3)/12
rho = M/L
I = (M*L^3)/(12*L) = (ML^2)/12
but I have to multiply this by two because of the other side
I = (ML^2)/6

So I got for the total moment of inertia
(ML^2)/6 + (ML^2)/6 = (ML^2)/3

taking into consideration that the total mass is 4M
I = (4ML^2)/3

Is this correct?

B.U.M.P. - went onto second page

Last edited:
GreenPrint said:
Ok the square is hollow and it's just a wire frame in the shape of a square and is why I got the problem wrong.
Yep.

Taking this information into consideration...

I took the two bottom sides (the sides in which the axis of rotation goes through them) and added them together knowing that the moment of inertia of a line through were the axis of rotation goes through the midpoint of the line is (ML^2)/12 and got
(ML^2)/6
So far, so good.

For the two other sides of the square in which the axis of rotation does not directly intersect the side I simply did this

I = integral r^2 dm
rho = dm/dL
dm = rho dL
r = L/2
I said this because the axis of rotation is this far away from the side and is constant
I = rho * integral[0,L] (L/2)^2 dL
= rho/4 * integral[0,L] L^2 dL
= (rho*L^3)/12
rho = M/L
I = (M*L^3)/(12*L) = (ML^2)/12
but I have to multiply this by two because of the other side
I = (ML^2)/6
I don't understand what you're trying to integrate here. All the mass of these pieces is a distance L/2 from the axis. (The fact that they are rods is irrelevant.) So what's the moment of inertia?

So I got for the total moment of inertia
(ML^2)/6 + (ML^2)/6 = (ML^2)/3
Redo the second piece of this.

taking into consideration that the total mass is 4M
I = (4ML^2)/3
The mass of each piece is already included in the sum. (Don't multiply by 4!)

So I'm getting 2ML^2. Is this correct? IF the mass wasn't 4M and for example 6M would I just find the moment of inertia of the each side of the square and replace M with (6M)/4 or (3M)/2?

GreenPrint said:
So I'm getting 2ML^2. Is this correct?
No. Show how you got this.

You've already calculated the moment of inertia of the horizontal sides. What did you get for each vertical side?
IF the mass wasn't 4M and for example 6M would I just find the moment of inertia of the each side of the square and replace M with (6M)/4 or (3M)/2?
Not sure what you're asking here. If the total mass were 6M, then the mass of each side would be 6M/4.

Sorry I got numbers mixed up

The moment of inertia of a vertical side I got
I = integral r^2 dm, r = L/2, I = integral (L/2)^2 dm = L^2/4 * integral dm = (ML^2)/4
this is for one side.

(ML^2)/6
I come I ignore the fact that the mass of both the horizontal sides combined is M/2...

Oh I think I get it now. I can ignore this fact because when I add them together I would get 1+1+1+M and just get 4M

So the moment of inertia for just one vertical side is (ML^2)/4 and them combined is (ML^2)/2

Adding the two moment of inertia together I now get
I = (ML^2)/6 + (ML^2)/2 = (2ML^2)/3

Is this correct? I'm not sure how the fact that the total mass is 4M plays into this.

GreenPrint said:
Adding the two moment of inertia together I now get
I = (ML^2)/6 + (ML^2)/2 = (2ML^2)/3

Is this correct?
Good!
I'm not sure how the fact that the total mass is 4M plays into this.
That's what allowed you to deduce that each side had mass M.

So if each side had mass (3M)/2 would I have for one vertical side

I = (ML^2)/4

would become

I = (3ML^2)/(4*2) = (3 ML^2)/8?

Yep.

Ok thank you very much

1. What is the moment of inertia of a square?

The moment of inertia of a square is a measurement of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol "I" and is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a square calculated?

The moment of inertia of a square can be calculated using the formula I = (m * s^2)/12, where m is the mass of the square and s is the length of its side. This formula assumes that the square is rotating about an axis that passes through its center.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a square?

The moment of inertia of a square is affected by its mass and the distance of its sides from the axis of rotation. The mass has a direct impact on the moment of inertia, while the distance from the axis of rotation affects the distribution of the mass and therefore, the moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a square compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a square is dependent on its mass and the distance of its sides from the axis of rotation. Therefore, it can vary depending on the size and shape of the square. Generally, the moment of inertia of a square is greater than that of a circle or a triangle with the same mass and dimensions.

5. Why is the moment of inertia of a square important?

The moment of inertia of a square is an important concept in physics and engineering. It is used to analyze and predict the rotational motion of objects. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability and strength of structures and helps in designing machines and vehicles that require precise control of their rotational motion.