Moment of inertia of an engine

• Thread starter sandy3981
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

please let me know the calculations involved for getting the moment of inertia of an ic engine

Answers and Replies

radou
Homework Helper
please let me know the calculations involved for getting the moment of inertia of an ic engine
I don't know anything about engines, but when investigating moment of inertia, you should first identify the part which rotates, its geometry, and the axis of rotation. Then use the definition of the moment of inertia somehow.

I don't know anything about engines, but when investigating moment of inertia, you should first identify the part which rotates, its geometry, and the axis of rotation. Then use the definition of the moment of inertia somehow.

Thanks radou! but there are many rotating elements in an engine,how to find the MoI in this case.Any idea ??

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The calculations would be exactly the same as those involved in calculating the moment of inertia of any simple object. Good luck calculating it for an engine. Don't forget about pistons, conrods, oil pumps, camshafts etc.

berkeman
Mentor
Thanks radou! but there are many rotating elements in an engine,how to find the MoI in this case.Any idea ??
This sounds like a homework problem, but I'll leave it here for now since in its full form, it's a bit of a project.

Sandy, tell us what you know about how to calculate the MOI of a simple object. And tell us what you know about finite element analysis. And tell us what class this is for (basic physics, advanced engine design in upper division ME, or what?).