Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of an engine

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    please let me know the calculations involved for getting the moment of inertia of an ic engine

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I don't know anything about engines, but when investigating moment of inertia, you should first identify the part which rotates, its geometry, and the axis of rotation. Then use the definition of the moment of inertia somehow.

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3

Thanks radou! but there are many rotating elements in an engine,how to find the MoI in this case.Any idea ??

5. Jan 22, 2007 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The calculations would be exactly the same as those involved in calculating the moment of inertia of any simple object. Good luck calculating it for an engine. Don't forget about pistons, conrods, oil pumps, camshafts etc.

6. Jan 22, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This sounds like a homework problem, but I'll leave it here for now since in its full form, it's a bit of a project.

Sandy, tell us what you know about how to calculate the MOI of a simple object. And tell us what you know about finite element analysis. And tell us what class this is for (basic physics, advanced engine design in upper division ME, or what?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?