What is the moment of inertia of an inclined disk?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a disc inclined at an angle θ to a vertical axis can be found by first finding the distance of a point on the disc from the axis. This distance is represented by d, which can be expressed as the magnitude of the difference between the position vector of the point and a vector representing a point on the axis. The minimum value of (r-b)^2, where r is the position vector of the point and b is the vector representing a point on the axis, can then be integrated for the entire disc to obtain the moment of inertia. The result can be further adjusted using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about a parallel axis.
Saitama

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the moment of inertia of a disc (let the mass be m and radius R) inclined at an angle θ to the vertical axis.
(See attachment 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by taking a small element of area dA. (see attachment 2)
The mass of this small element is dA*Mass density of disc.
dA=xd[itex]\phi[/itex]dx and mass density=m/([itex]\pi[/itex]R^2)
Now, moment of inertia is defined as
I=∫dmr^2 (Here r=xsinθ)
[tex]I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{R} \frac{m}{\pi R^2}xd \phi dx(x\sinθ)[/tex]
Solving this, i get
[tex]I=\frac{4}{3}mRsinθ[/tex] which i think is completely wrong.

Attachments

• disc.png
    disc.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 529
  • attempt.png
    attempt.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav,

It is easier to imagine the problem if you keep that disk horizontal, in the xy plane and the axis in the yz plane is inclined to it with angle β. The distance d of a point P of the disk from the axis is r sin(θ) where θ is the angle the axis and the position vector r enclose: It is not the same as β.

ehild

Attachments

• momin.JPG
    momin.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 543
ehild said:
Hi Pranav,

It is easier to imagine the problem if you keep that disk horizontal, in the xy plane and the axis in the yz plane is inclined to it with angle β. The distance d of a point P of the disk from the axis is r sin(θ) where θ is the angle the axis and the position vector r enclose: It is not the same as β.

ehild

Yes, its now easier to understand the problem.
In my method, i did not realize that θ too varies. But now how am i going to form the integral? :confused:

At given β, d depends both on φ and r. Find the expression first.

ehild

ehild said:
At given β, d depends both on φ and r. Find the expression first.

ehild

I have tried it for more than half hour but still have no clue, i am unable to express d in terms of φ and r.

"d" is the distance of a point from the axis. Can you find the distance of a point from a straight line?

A point on the axis can be written as the vector b=bt where t is the unit vector along the axis. t=cosβj+sinβk.

A point P of the disk is represented by the vector r=rcosφi+rsinφj.

The distance between a point of the axis and P is equal to the magnitude of the difference r-b, and the distance of P from the axis is the shortest distance.
Find the minimum of (r-b)2.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Can you find the distance of a point from a straight line?
Yes.

ehild said:
The distance between a point of the axis and P is equal to the magnitude of the difference r-b, and the distance of P from the axis is the shortest distance.
Find the minimum of (r-b)2.

ehild
I get r2(1-cos2φcos2β) as the minimum value of (r-b)2. Is this correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes.

I get r2(1-cos2φcos2β) as the minimum value of (r-b)2. Is this correct?

I got the same. You can integrate now for the disk :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
I got the same. You can integrate now for the disk :smile:

ehild

Thanks for the help ehild! :smile:
Here's my attempt:
[tex]dI=\frac{m}{\pi R^2}r(d\varphi)(dr)\cdot r^2(1-\cos^2\varphi \cos^2\beta)[/tex]
Integrating the above expression under the appropriate limits, i get
[tex]I=\frac{mR^2}{2}\left(1-\frac{cos^2\beta}{2}\right)[/tex]
Is this correct?
Is it valid to use the parallel axis theorem here if i want the MI about an axis parallel to the given axis in the question?

Pranav-Arora said:
[tex]I=\frac{mR^2}{2}\left(1-\frac{cos^2\beta}{2}\right)[/tex]
Looks right.
Is it valid to use the parallel axis theorem here if i want the MI about an axis parallel to the given axis in the question?
Sure. Why not?

Checking my calculation again, I got d2=r2(1-cos2β sin2φ) with φ the angle with respect to the x axis, as shown in my post #2. But that does not influence the final result.

The parallel axis theorem is valid for any shape and any parallel axes.

ehild

1. What is the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is a physical property that measures the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. It is also referred to as rotational inertia or angular mass.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is affected by the mass and shape of the disk. A larger mass or a larger radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a thinner disk or a smaller radius will result in a smaller moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a disk affect its motion?

The moment of inertia of a disk determines how much torque is required to change its rotational motion. A larger moment of inertia means that more torque is needed to change the speed or direction of rotation, while a smaller moment of inertia means less torque is needed.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a disk change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a disk can change if its mass or shape is altered. For example, if a disk is heated and expands, its moment of inertia will increase due to the increased mass and radius. Additionally, the moment of inertia can change if the disk's axis of rotation is changed.