1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of earth

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The density of Earth, at any distance r from it's center is approximately

p(r) = [14.2 - 11.6 (r/R)] * 10^3 kg*m^-3

where R is the radius of the Earth. Show that the density leads to a moment of inertia I = 0.330 MR^2 about an axis through the center, where M is the mass of the Earth.

2. Relevant equations

I = [tex]\int[/tex] r^2 dm
    I of a hollow sphere = 2/3MR^2
    I = [tex]\int[/tex] dI

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I believe is right is to sum up the contributions of the moments of inertia of infinitesimally thin hollow spheres, with limits of integration 0 to R.

So, I have a hollow sphere with thickness dr a distance r from the center of the Earth, whose moment is given by 2/3MR^2 so I have:

I = 2/3 [tex]\int[/tex] [R,0] r^2 dm

dm would be p(r) dV

dV should be 4/3[tex]\pi[/tex](r+dr)^3 - 4/3[tex]\pi[/tex]r^3 because the all the mass is concentrated at the outside of the shell of thickness dr. This equals 3r^2dr.

So. 2 [tex]\int[/tex] p(r) * 3r^2 * r^2 dr = I

integrating with limits [R,0] and substituting in the actual values i got about 2 * 10^37 kg * m^2, but the answer is 8 * 10^37 kgm^2.

What did I do incorrectly?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

That's not correct. Check your math on that differential. (I mean: you're right that [itex]\mathrm{d}V = \frac{4}{3}\pi(r + \mathrm{d}r)^3 - \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex], you just computed the difference incorrectly.)

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    Oh, I forgot to move the 4pi/3 down. Wow. It came out to the right answer after that. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook