What is the Moment of Inertia of a Flywheel?

In summary, the conversation discusses a disagreement between two individuals regarding the calculation of the moment of inertia of a flywheel. One person believes they have found the correct solution, but is unsure about their math. The other person's solution is larger and more complex. They also discuss the difficulty in sharing equations through photos and suggest using a scanner or typing them out in a post.
KiNGGeexD
Ok me and my friend have clashed with solutions to calculate the moment of inertia of a flywheel and I think I have it after a while but I'm not so sure about my maths!

The solution he ended up with was a lot larger and more complex
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386624895.412487.jpg
:) really enjoying this forum:)

Physics news on Phys.org
KiNGGeexD said:
Ok me and my friend have clashed with solutions to calculate the moment of inertia of a flywheel and I think I have it after a while but I'm not so sure about my maths!

The solution he ended up with was a lot larger and more complex View attachment 64639

:) really enjoying this forum:)

The photo is pretty hard to read. Can you maybe just type it into a post here? Or else, use a good quality scanner to upload the image? Thanks.

I will try and upload a better picture

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386625963.297170.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386625989.615635.jpg
Are either of these any better?

Not really, at least not for me. Can you use the Advanced Reply option to type in your equations?

I am current using an iphone so not sure I can but when I get home I will post what I have:)

What is the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and shape of the flywheel.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a flywheel?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel is affected by the mass of the flywheel, the distribution of this mass, and the shape of the flywheel. A heavier flywheel with more mass concentrated towards the outer edges will have a larger moment of inertia.

Why is the moment of inertia important for a flywheel?

The moment of inertia is important for a flywheel because it determines how much energy is needed to change the rotational speed of the flywheel. A larger moment of inertia means more energy is needed to accelerate or decelerate the flywheel.

How is the moment of inertia of a flywheel calculated?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the flywheel, and r is the radius of the flywheel.

How does the moment of inertia of a flywheel affect its performance?

The moment of inertia of a flywheel affects its performance in several ways. A flywheel with a larger moment of inertia will be able to store more kinetic energy, resulting in smoother operation and better stability. However, a larger moment of inertia also means it takes longer for the flywheel to reach its maximum rotational speed, so it may not be ideal for applications that require quick acceleration.